[McIDAS #RCY-484528]: McIDAS-X 2017 installation on ubuntu16.04

Hi Sohail,

re:
> I re-installed Ubuntu 16.04 32 bit. So please according to that one. So
> that I follow it accordingly.

Can I assume that your previous emails regarding Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04
and 32 bit and 64 bit distributions are all in relation to installation
on the same hardware?

Another way of asking this is: is the machine you are installing the
OS on capable of running a 64-bit distribution of Ubuntu?

If the answer is yes, then I strongly recommend that you install the
64-bit version of Ubuntu 16.04.  Why?  64-bit versions of current
OS releases make much better use of the underlying hardware than a
32-bit release.  If you only have a 64-bit ISO for 18.04, then I think
we should proceed with using that version and worry about possible
problems if/when they occur.

Comment:

- since you are starting with a fresh OS installation, then you/we have
  an opportunity to setup things exactly as they are outlined in the
  Unidata McIDAS-X User's Guide

Now some specific points/strong recommendations all of which are to
be done by the user 'mcidas':

1) after your OS is installed, create a 'mcidas' account and make the
   HOME directory of the user 'mcidas' /home/mcidas

   I believe that this is what you have been doing right along,
   so there is no change here.

2) I recommend that the 'mcidas' account be setup to use BASH

   This is what you have been doing right along, so there is no
   change here

3) modify the /home/mcidas/.bash_profile so that it contains the setup
   information for conforming shells (e.g., BASH) as listed in:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/PreparingthemcidasAccount.html

   The entries I am referring to look like:

# McINST_ROOT and VENDOR conforming shell defines
# needed to bulid McIDAS
McINST_ROOT=$HOME
VENDOR=-gfortran
export McINST_ROOT VENDOR

# NOTE: uncomment the next two lines that set MySQL_ROOT if you
#       want to build with MySQL support:
#       - leave the value blank if MySQL is installed in a standard
#         location
#       - specify the value as the root directory of the MySQL
#         installation if MySQL is not installed in a standard
#         location
# MySQL_ROOT=TRUE
# export MySQL_ROOT

if [ -e $McINST_ROOT/admin/mcidas_env.sh ]; then
  . $McINST_ROOT/admin/mcidas_env.sh
fi

   PLEASE NOTE:

   Do not put any other McIDAS-related definitions in .bash_profile, .bashrc
   or .profile!

4) put the Unidata McIDAS-X v2017 distribution files in /home/mcidas.  The
   files I am referring to are:

   mcunpack
   mcinet2017.sh
   mcidasx2017.tar.gz

   PLEASE NOTE:

   Make sure that the user 'mcidas' owns all of these files!

5) make sure that 'mcunpack' is set to be executable:

   cd /home/mcidas
   chmod +x mcunpack

6) define the McINST_ROOT environment variable:

   export McINST_ROOT=/home/mcidas

7) unpack the Unidata McIDAS-X v2017 distribution:

   ./mcunpack

   At this point, you should see /home/mcidas/mcidas2017 in an 'ls'
   listing.

8) log off and then log back on

   Why am I asking you to do this?

   The reason is so that the lines that you add to the .bash_profile
   file take effect.  In particular, the "sourcing" (reading) of the
   settings in the 'mcidas' environment file, /home/mcidas/admin/mcidas_env.sh,
   are read and available.

   When you get to this point, please send me the output of 'printenv'.

   What am I looking for?

   I will be looking to make sure that the following environment variables
   are correctly defined:

   McINST_ROOT
   MCHOME
   MCDATA
   MCVER
   MCPATH
   MCBIN
   MCSRC
   MCUPDATE
   MCTABLE_READ
   MCTABLE_WRITE
   MCSTRETCH
   XCD_disp_file
   PATH
   MCCOMPRESS
   VENDOR
   CC
   CFLAGS
   CPPFLAGS
   CXX
   CXXCPP
   FC
   FFLAGS
   F90

   For reference, McINST_ROOT and VENDOR are defined by the lines you will
   add to the /home/mcidas/.bash_profile file.  The rest of the environment
   variables will be defined in the script /home/mcidas/admin/mcidas_env.sh.

   Like I said in step 3) above, do NOT define/redefine any other McIDAS
   related environment variables in your .bash_profile, .bashrc or .profile
   files!

At this point, you should be ready to attempt a build of Unidata McIDAS-X
v2017.  Whether or not the build will succeed will depend on the needed
packages being installed in the OS on your machine.  If your build fails
because one or more of the needed packages (like, yacc, etc.) was not
available when you first tried the build, you should "clobber" the build
attempt and then try it again.  The sequence is basically:

- attempt the build

  cd /home/mcidas/mcidas2017/src
  make rootdirs
  make

- if there is a failure due to a package being missing, install the
  package (done as 'root', not as 'mcidas') and then start again

  cd /home/mcidas/mcidas2017/src
  make clobber
  make

- when the build has completed successfully, you need to install it:

  cd /home/mcidas/mcidas2017/src
  make install.mcxall

At this point, you should have a fully functional Unidata McIDAS-X v2017
distribution installed on your machine.  If all of the environment variables
listed above are correctly defined, you should be able to run the new
distribution by typing:

cd /home/mcidas
mcidas

Please let me know your results in doing the steps above.  If things are NOT
working for ANY reason, I will need copies of the following:

1) output of 'printenv'

2) contents of your .bash_profile, .bashrc and .profile (if it exists)
   files

3) a long listing in the 'mcidas' HOME directory:

   cd /home/mcidas
   ls -alt

Ticket ID: RCY-484528
Department: Support McIDAS