[Miscellaneous #WUU-316291]: naverror.grb2 file size

Hi Tim,

re: what package is creating naverror.grb2?

> Not exactly sure, but one of the few items listed in a Google search on the
> name was:
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArschives/mcidas/msg04174.html
> Could be dmbin or dmgrid, but not sure.

OK.  Interestingly, I was the author of the URL that you found via your
Google search... I didn't remember the exchange at all!

Since I was the author, it must be that naverror.grb2 is created by a
McIDAS process.  Based on this, I would say that deleting the file will
be OK, BUT (important BUT), you may need to stop and restart your XCD
processing as some process may be holding the file open.  I would sandwich
the file deletion in the middle of a stop and restart:

stop XCD
delete the file
start XCD

In Unidata McIDAS-X/-XCD this would be accomplished by:

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin stop
-- delete the file
ldmadmin start

I am not sure what the exact procedure is if you are running
SSEC's XCD distribution.

re:
> We did finally try removing it before your reply, and it seems to do no
> damage.

Now that I know that a McIDAS XCD process creates/updates the file, I
can say that deleting the file should be OK.  The only thing I can
not say for certain is if the file is held open, or if the file is
closed after each write to it.  If it is, deleting the file should
have no deleterious effect.  If the file is still open, it will look
like it is gone after an 'rm', but the disk space will still be
used.

re:
> We have a duplicate system that still has it. So it would be nice to
> be able to read it before I zap that one too. If you know of how to
> read it, that would be great, otherwise I think we have everything we need.

Given the suffix, I would assume that it is a GRIB2 file.  I'd run 'od'
on it first to make sure.  If it is a GRIB2 file, you'd need to use a
GRIB2 reader to dump its contents.

re:
> Thanks!

No worries.