[McIDAS #XAM-728083]: RTGOESR No Navigation...

Hi Christian,

re:
> Thanks for your very fast reply.

You caught me right as I was reviewing some User Support inquiries :-)

re: RTGOESR vs NPGOESR
> Thanks for the info on those, as I was also not sure what was the differences
> between RTGOESR and NPGOESR...

The similarities and differences in these two sources of GOES-16 imagery has
caused a lot of consternation in the community!

re:
> > <as 'mcidas'>
> >
> > cd $MCDATA
> > ls -alt `which imgdisp.k`
> > ls -alt `which map.k`
> >
> > What are the time stamps associated with both imgdisp..k and map.k?

> This is what I checked too, and the timestamps are ok. It is as of
> today because to be sure I downloaded and recompiled-installed the 2017
> update...
>
> -bash-4.1$  imgdisp.k RTGOESR/CONUSC01
> Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 310276
> IMGDISP: loaded frame  1
> imgdisp.k: done
> -bash-4.1$ map.k
> map.k: NO IMAGE OR NO NAVIGATION FOR FRAME

The only other thing that I can think of is the navigation information
for the frame(s) in your session is not being written to a subdirectory
of the hidden ~/.mctmp directory.

Questions:

- who are you running imgdisp.k and map.k as?

- what is your McIDAS environment when you try to run the commands?

re:
> -bash-4.1$ cd $MCDATA
>
> -bash-4.1$ pwd
> /kepler/mcidas/workdata
>
> -bash-4.1$ ls -alt `which imgdisp.k`
> -rwxr-xr-x. 2 mcidas meteo 928370 Apr 29 15:27 /kepler/mcidas/bin/imgdisp.k
>
> -bash-4.1$ ls -alt `which map.k`
> -rwxr-xr-x. 2 mcidas meteo 2275290 Apr 29 15:26 /kepler/mcidas/bin/map.k

What is the result of:

ls -alt ~/.mctmp

re:
> Are there any (static) files in workdata that are used for navigation
> specifications that I could check?

No.  The navigation information for each frame is written into a subdirectory
whose name is the shared memory segment handle when a McIDAS-X session
is run (and a session is created for single command invocations in the
same way as it is for a full interactive session.

Please try the following:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
mcenv -f 1@1000x1500

imgdisp.k RTGOESR/CONUSC01
map.k
frmsave.k 1 test.gif

exit

Running both imgdisp.k and map.k in a session created by mcenv will
insure that the navigation information written to the subdirectory
of ~/.mctmp will still exist when map.k is run.

Ticket ID: XAM-728083
Department: Support McIDAS