[McIDAS #HDN-934891]: ERAU ADDE configuration and Conference call to discuss equipment purchase

Hi Chris,

re:
> Thanks Tom!

No worries.

re:
> On a related note, I have the re-stitch program working now(!), and I was
> wondering if
> there is a (documented) way to get images into a file format that NMAP and
> GARP can use?

There definitely is a way to convert the reconstitued scenes into images that
are usable by NMAP (I can't say for sure about GARP, but I imagine that it is
the same as for NMAP)!  Setup ADDE datasets for the various reconstituted images
and then IMGCOPY the images into a local AREA dataset.  I did just this to
produce
a set of images that Michael has used to test in GEMPAK.

re:
> We still use these programs for some of our classes as they are much easier
> for students
> to learn and they process satellite data much more efficiently.

I understand.  I believe that there are lots of sites still using GEMPAK as
their primary display and analysis application.  It is because of this that we
are going to propose to the Users Committee (the meeting starts tomorrow
morning here in Boulder) that we setup a process where select images from
NOAAPort and GRB are converted into AREA format and then sent in one
of the existing IDD datastreams (e.g., UNIWISC (aka MCIDAS), NIMAGE, etc.).
The biggest question will be which bands (wavelength channels) should be
converted, and which coverages are most desired.

re:
> I know that there has been some chatter about this, but what I found in the
> email
> archives seemed more about it not being easy to do it than about how to do it.
> Since you guys are feeding files from GOES16 it must be possible, right?

It is absolutely possible and, quite frankly, pretty easy using McIDAS.  I can
fill you in on the steps if you like.  Please let me know.

re:
> Thanks, hope that you had a good weekend!

This past weekend was fantastic here in Colorado!  And, the high temperature
yesterday was in the lower 70s F here in Boulder and mid 50s F at my house
in the foothills above Boulder which is at 8150' elevation.

Ticket ID: HDN-934891
Department: Support McIDAS