[McIDAS #HDN-934891]: ERAU ADDE configuration and Conference call to discuss equipment purchase

Hi Chris,

re:
> A couple of items.  I think I am supposed to provide an update this month,
> and wanted to know if an email message is adequate or if I should construct a
> status report?

I would think that a comprehensive email would work as a "status report", but
I am not 100% sure.  I'll ask Terry when he gets back on Monday (he is in DC
for the Spring 2018 Strategic Advisory Committee meeting at the moment).

re:
> First, on the disk purchase for our equipment grant we have concluded that a
> purchase of 16 7200-RPM disks was the way to go for our system.  We have
> installed the disk and setup an initial RAID 10 array.  We did this as,
>
> 1) that is the way we have done a number of our data servers in the past
>    and
>
> 2) we were temporarily using the disk space to shuffle some data around and
>    do some hardware maintenance on our other systems.
>
> The use of RAID 10 comes at a "great cost" of 50% reduction on the storage
> space that is available.  We had chosen this some time ago when it was
> thought that the cost of RAID 5 was the overhead of the parity calculations,
> especially for data that are written to disk and then purged some number of
> days later.

I believe that Mike setup our systems in the same way.  For interest:  we
are now running the ZFS file system on our motherlode class data servers,
and it has been working very nicely.

re:
> Our goals with this project are to thin the data as it gets older, thinking
> that less temporal data will be adequate for an archive, with full data
> storage for the near-real-time products.

I agree with this approach especially for sites (like us) who are not
actual data centers.

re:
> We wanted to get the thoughts your folks might have one what to do.
>
> We currently have two mirrored 8*2TB arrays (RAID 10).
>
> We were considering a 14* 2TB RAID 5 array with two hot spares.
>
> We are interested in any suggestions your systems folks might have.

I will ask Mike to take a look at this and provide any feedback that he
may have.

re:
> If you need more details on the server I can provide them.

Mike may have a question or two, but I'll let him ask them directly.

Ticket ID: HDN-934891
Department: Support McIDAS