[McIDAS #HMV-801244]: ASCII file display in McIDAS-X

Hi Sohail,

re:
> Can you please look into the following process I have done.  What wrong
> with that now?
>
> what am i unable to list the ASCII files and to implement TXT2MD command?

I think that you are misunderstanding what the input to TXT2MD is.
TXT2MD uses an ASCII file, NOT and ADDE TEXT dataset element, as its
input:

HELP TXT2MD

 TXT2MD - Creates an MD file from an ASCII text data file
    TXT2MD sfile dfile schema <keywords>
 Parameters:
    sfile  | source ASCII text file name and extension
    dfile  | destination MD file number
    schema | MD file schema name, e.g. IRAB, ISFC

sfile - source ASCII text file name and extension, not an ADDE TEXT dataset!!

re:
> Here is the screenshot for the DSSERVE and listing commands for the
> file. I followed your instructions but maybe i am using the wrong command
> to list the files.

You would use the READ command to read the contents of a text dataset element:

HELP READ
READ - Lists the contents of an ADDE text dataset
   READ dataset
Parameters:
   dataset | ADDE dataset name; specify as group/descriptor or alias
Remarks:
   READ lists the contents of a text dataset, which points to a single
   text file.  If the dataset is on a remote server, use the DATALOC
   command to map the group name to the remote server workstation.

re:
> Also attaching the ASCII files i have. Please guide me.

Even if you get a TEXT ADDE dataset created and usable (by READ, for
example), it will not be usable by TXT2MD.

To address your question directly (even though I do NOT think that this
is what you want to be doing):

I created an ADDE TEXT dataset in the same way as you showed in your
screen capture of your DSSERVE command:

DSSERVE ADD NAV/MODIS TEXT INFO='/home/mcidas/workdata/GOES_VIS.001' "ASCII
FILES

Group/Descriptor         Type  Format & Range     RT Comment
------------------------ ----- ------------------ -- --------------------
NAV/MODIS                TEXT  TEXT                  ASCII FILES
                               Info=/home/mcidas/workdata/GOES_VIS.001
DSSERVE: done

I then tried to use READ to list out values from the dataset.  Since
the output looks like gibberish (control characters, etc.), I decided
to take a look at GOES_VIS.001 and GOES_VIS2.001:

$ less GOES_VIS.001
"GOES_VIS.001" may be a binary file.  See it anyway?

$ less attachments/GOES_VIS2.001
"attachments/GOES_VIS2.001" may be a binary file.  See it anyway?

This is telling us that GOES_VIS.001 and GOES_VIS2.001 are _not_
ASCII files, they are binary.  They are not, therefore, appropriate
to include in an ADDE TEXT dataset.

Ticket ID: HMV-801244
Department: Support McIDAS