[McIDAS #HMV-801244]: ASCII file display in McIDAS-X

Hi Sohail,

re:
> Hope you are doing well.

I'm well, thanks.  I hope that you are also!

re:
> Can you please guide me how to load an ASCII file in McIDAS-X?
>
> I am trying to add a local server with the following command and to display
> it using IMG* commands, but can't get it.
>
> DSSERVE ADD MYDATA/MASCHII TYPE=IMAGE
> DIRFILE='/home/mcidas/workdata/testascii/GOES*' "ASCII FILE
>
> Can you please guide me by using ASCII format file in McIDAS-X and ADT.

McIDAS-X has _no_ support for imagery in ASCII text format. The best one
can hope to do is convert the TEXT to a McIDAS Meteorological Database
(MD) file and then plot the data using McIDAS POINT commands.  In the
past, other users have done this, and then gridded the POINT data
so that the McIDAS GRD* commands could be used to do analysis.  It may
be possible to build on that procedure (ASCII -> MD -> GRID) and then
use the GRDIMG command to convert the grid to an image. Whether or not
the resulting image (in AREA file format) would be usable as input to the
ADT commands is unknown to me.

If you want to read up on converting ASCII to MD, check out the
User's Guide and HELP for the TXT2MD and UPCTXT2MD utilities.

Have you heard anything back from the Australian Bureau of Meteorology
(ABoM) contact about getting FY2G imagery in McIDAS AREA format?

Ticket ID: HMV-801244
Department: Support McIDAS