[McIDAS #DZN-645110]: McIDAS, CentOS, solid-state drive and Windows 10

Hi Kwan,

re:
> I was able to retrieve the CentOS virtual machine directory from the broken
> hard drive (using a Windows file recovery software).  However, the virtual
> machine appeared to be stuck in an endless loop near the end of the
> initialization stage with the CentOS logo remaining on the screen.  (This
> was the reason I attempted to reinstall Windows thinking it had something
> to do with Windows.  But that rendered the hard drive unbootable instead.)

I have never run into a situation like this.

re:
> Are there ways to retrieve files in the virtual machine from within
> Windows?

Have you tried Googling:

- stopping the VM being stuck in an endless loop

- how to retrieve files from VM files

I have never been in a position to investigate these issues,
but I suspect that if either is possible, it would be challenging.

re:
> I found some software that aim at retrieving data from broken
> virtual machines.

And?  Again, I have never been in this position, so I have no usable
advice for you, sorry.

Ticket ID: DZN-645110
Department: Support McIDAS