[McIDAS #JRH-417238]: Replacement for GINI 8-km SuperNational

Hi Don,

re:
> Happy New Year.

The same to you too!

re:
> This isn't necessarily a McIDAS support question, but I
> do get the data via ADDE and you know the most about this stuff.

OK...

re:
> I have an IDV bundle that displays the GINI 8km Super National Vis, IR
> and Water Vapor images:
>
> https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/repository/entry/get/3panelsat.xidv?entryid=97d30fda-fd5c-4086-9238-873dabb0f8a7
>
> Since the switch to GOES-16 as GOES-East, there are a lot of times that
> the east half of the image is missing.

It seems like the east portion of the image should be missing all of the
time since the then GOES-East, GOES-13, was decommissioned and the NWS has
no intention of creating GINI images from the new GOES-R platforms!

re:
> Do you know if NESDIS is working
> to address this?

I asked that question during a McIDAS Advisory Committee call, and the
person from NOAA who should know the answer said that they had no intention
of continuing to create GINI format imagery/sectors from the GOES-R
series of satellites.  Instead, they created a new image format (!!) known
as Sectorized Cloud and Moisture Imagery (SCMI), and are sending those
image sectors as tiles in NOAAPort.

The SCMI image sectors currently being sent are:

CONUS         - Lambert Conformal (TANC) projection
Full Disk     - Fixed Grid projection
Mesoscale-1/2 - Lambert Conformal projection
Puerto Rico   - Mercator

I guess that they figure that the replacement for the GINI Super National
images are the CONUS ones.  The Puerto Rico sector is the only ones that
matches the corresponding ones in GINI format.

Comment: testing by folks like Tim Schmidt have shown that the second
remap for all sectors except Full Disk (the first remap is to put the
image into an idealized satellite projection) masks information that
is available in the corresponding sectors coming in the GRB (GOES
ReBroadcast).  I _think_ that they will stop remapping these sectors
some time this spring, but who really knows what the NWS will really
do!?

re:
> In lieu of that, is there a good replacement set of
> images that cover CONUS at a similar resolution?

I am serving the CONUS sectors being sent in the GRB (group RTGOESR)
and in NOAAPort (group NPGOESR) from both lead.unidata.ucar.edu
and atm.ucar.edu.  When we spin up a new implementation of motherlode
(aka adde.ucar.edu) they will be available there also.

re:
> I know there are the
> GOES East/West Composites, but I'm not sure of the resolution of those
> (16km?).

The GOES-East/West composite in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream (UNIWISC)
are 20 km in resolution.  I will, however, be canvassing ldm-users to
see if everyone would like this sector to be increased in size and
resolution.  There will be a number of other possibilities that will be
floated also, so if you are not subscribed to ldm-users, I recommend
that you do so AND chime in with what you would like to see.

re:
> Thanks for any help/info you can provide.

You (and Yuan) are, by no means, the only one(s) struggling with the
cessation of GINI images created from GOES-13.  The canvassing of the
ldm-users list will be in response to how best to help struggling
sites AND GEMPAK users since GEMPAK does not understand the netCDF-4
format of the NOAAPort or GRB delivered GOES-16 imagery.

Please let me know if you are left with questions that I failed to
address above...

Ticket ID: JRH-417238
Department: Support McIDAS