[McIDAS #JGN-249914]: IMGMAKE

Hi Mike,

re:
> Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, we got pretty busy here
> after the holidays.

Here also :-)

re:
> I installed mcidas2017b this morning and everything went well.  That last
> issue I wrote you about appears to have been resolved, and so far I haven't
> run into anything else.  I'll let you know if I catch anything, but I'm
> pretty optimistic that all is well.  :D

I'm using v2017.b to create the GOES-East and -West sectors in the
Unidata-Wisconsin (UNIWISC aka MCIDAS) IDD datastream.  Part of my testing
for this was to IMGREMAP the NOAAPort-delivered GOES-16 imagery into the
GVAR-based GOES-East sectors, and this worked with no apparent problems.
I am using the GRB-delivered GOES-16 imagery for "production" as the GRB
Full Disk image resolutions are actually less (worse) than the sectors that
have been in the UNIWISC feed for many years.

re:
> While I'm here I have a couple of questions.  Though I haven't had the
> chance to play with any of it yet, I was excited to see that Unidata is
> providing data from all of the other instruments over LDM.

Yup.  Not many have signed up for this yet, but we expect things to
change after AMS.

re:
> My understanding is McIDAS can handle GLM data no problem,

SSEC wrote an ADDE server for the GLM data, so there is support.  Talking to
the SSEC developer about this (and a LOT of other things) yesterday made me
aware that there is still work to be done in the GLM data serving.

re:
> can the same be
> said for the other instruments (I suppose SUVI would be the next most
> likely product to plot with McIDAS)?

No.  There is no support for the space weather instruments or magnetometer, and
I don't think that SSEC has any interest in adding support.

re:
> And Paul had another question for you, though I suspect this would really
> be more for SSEC.  Do you know how often some of the GIS layers are updated
> in McIDAS?

GIS "layers"?  Are you asking about McIDAS-V (where they use the term "layers"
describe overlays), or are you talking about McIDAS-X?

re:
> For example, I-355 near us had an extension built nearly a
> decade ago, between I-55 and I-80, but it doesn't seem to be included in
> the software.  I'm sure it would take a fair amount of work to update
> layers like that, but because that prior example literally hits close to
> home it's been a curiosity of ours for a while.

If there is a good, up to date map database to start with, new McIDAS-X
map files can usually be created without excessive effort.  The key is
the format of the up to date map database... there is no routine in
McIDAS that understands shape files, for instance.  Whether or not
SSEC has written a non-McIDAS utility to convert map shape files into
McIDAS OUT* files is unknown to me.

Ticket ID: JGN-249914
Department: Support McIDAS