[McIDAS #GDY-267661]: Software

Hi Colin,

I apologize for not being able to get back to you on your access to
McIDAS-X inquiry before now.  We have been consumed by the effort of
transitioning a number of things (data distribution, access, etc.)
from the old GVAR GOES-East (GOES-13) to the new GOES-R GOES-East
(GOES-16).  Since that transition is (mostly) over now, I can return
to a number of User Support inquiries...

re:
> Globalweathersystems.com is run by Firefighters in the Uk who use their
> own money to warn and inform the public on dangerous weather across
> the world.  They also run Floodwarn.co.uk for the UK
>
> The firefighters are from South wales and all costs for these sites
> are paid from their wages. We do occasionally get some small donations
> from public
>
> The two sites are used by the public to get pre warned  and monitor
> during dangerous weather.
>
> We also have some education schools and colleges using the sites
>
> We would love to use your program to show satellite images McIDAS
>
> We are limited in our design work but we do find the public utilise our
> info as it seems more user friendly than the GOVt sources
>
> We would of course reference and link to you for all usage

Our license with the owners of McIDAS-X, the Space Science and
Engineering Center (SSEC) at the University of Wisconsin (UW).
to distribute our version of McIDAS-X, Unidata McIDAS-X/-XCD,
allows us to let educational users have the software.  We are
strictly prohibited from making the software available to
non-educational institutions unless those institutions are
members in good standing of the UW/SSEC-operated McIDAS User's
Group (MUG).  Your situation, however, falls into a gray area
that requires us to ask SSEC if they will allow us to make the
software available to you.

If your objective is to make satellite image and other display
products available to a wide audience, you should probably check
out the user of either McIDAS-V or our IDV packages as both
are freely available, open source packages.  McIDAS-V is available
directly from UW/SSEC, and the IDV is available from us.  Also,
both McIDAS-V and the IDV (McIDAS-V is based on the IDV) work
well in a Microsoft Windows environment, on Apple Macs, and
under Linux.  McIDAS-X, on the other hand, works mostly in
a Linux environment (one can run it under MS Windows, but we
do not recommend this environment).

Question:

Have you investigated using either/both McIDAS-V or the IDV?

Both are easy to install and start using quickly by accessing
remotely served data, and, since they are both free, there is
very little cost involved in "kicking their tires" (tyres :-)
other than people time.

Ticket ID: GDY-267661
Department: Support McIDAS