[McIDAS #VCV-366716]: How to convert an image into AREA format?

Hi Sohail,

re:
> I have satellite images of a cyclone that contains all the required
> geological information required for AREA format.

OK.

re:
> *1*. Can you please guide me how to convert it into *AREA format*?

It depends on the format of the original image.  McIDAS-X has support
for a number of different formats, so the images might be usable directly.
If they are in a format that McIDAS doesn't understand, then there are
two possibilities:

- write new code to support the different image format

  This would take an expert in McIDAS to do, and is not something undertaken
  lightly.

- depending on the projection of the image, it might be possible to create a
  raster file with the image pixel values; use MAKEAREA to create an AREA
  file that does not have the navigation information in it; then use
  MAKNAV to add the necessary navigation to the skeleton AREA file

  For instance, if the images are in a rectilinear projection, and if
  you can create a raster files for the images, then you would need to
  create an AREA file for each image using MAKEAREA and then use MAKNAV
  to add the navigation information.  If the projection is not understood
  by McIDAS, then the only option would be to write code to add support
  for the image type, and, again, this is not something easily done.

re:
> *2*. Is there any tool or method to convert the image into *AREA or netCDF*
> format?

It depends on the format of the image.  What format are you talking about?

re:
> *3*. Here is attached one image, can you please guide me with that to
> convert into AREA format and list down the process os that I can continue
> it with other images.?
>
> I have tried with ENVI software to convert the images to AREA format, but
> it required a file ".*hdr*" to convert into AREA format.

The HDR file you sent suggests that the image is in TIFF format.  Is this
correct?

The FY2G file you sent has the suffix '.gpf'.  I do not know what kind of
format this represents, do you?

re:
> *4*. Can you please explain what is this .*hdr* file of AREA format and how
> I can generate it or find it for AREA format. A sample .hdr file is also
> attached. Please guide me.

I have no idea what the .hdr file is.  Is this something particular to ENVI?
If yes, you would have to ask the ENVI folks what needs to be in the .hdr
file.  Since I am not familiar with ENVI, I can't provide much, if any,
help in using it; sorry.

Ticket ID: VCV-366716
Department: Support McIDAS