[McIDAS #SIP-623086]: GOES-16 Color Imagaes

Hi Fred,

re:
> The new GOES-16 satellite is now the operational GOES-east satellite.

Not to be nitpicky, but GOES-13 won't be christened as GOES-East until the 18th.

re:
> The web page
> http://wx.erau.edu/erau_sat/ has been updated to include the new satellite
> data.  The
> day/night and wiggle 3-D images are now in color.  During the day, 3 visible
> channels
> are combined into a true color image.  The green channel is generated by a
> weighted
> average ( .29 .29 and .33)  for bands 1, 2 & 3.  The red & green channels are
> brightness
> normalized, and the blue channel also has a Rayleigh scattering correction in
> addition
> to the brightness normalization.    At night a dark blue is added for the
> water areas
> in the blue channel and a green for the land areas in the green channel.  At
> night the
> low clouds are generated from the band 13 (IR)- band 7 (3.9 micron near IR)
> difference.
> The higher clouds are generated from the bands 13-16 difference.   The light
> blue color
> is still the high clouds above 18,000 feet.

Very nice!

re:
> The GOES-west satellite images are also shown in color (even though the
> satellite has
> only one visible channel) by using the same addition of blue for dark areas
> over water
> and green for the dark areas over land to make blue and green channels.  The
> daytime
> visible selection on the web page provides a black and white image of the red
> (band 2)
> channel.  The image gets dark at night.  The infrared (band 13) and water
> vapor (band 9)
> image displays are essentially the same as in prior satellites.  The VIS 3-D
> is a
> day/night image which requires red/cyan 3D anaglyph glasses to see the
> heights.  The 3D
> images correct the IR temperature for thin cirrus by doing a correlation
> between the IR
> and water vapor images, and replacing the IR cloud temperature with the water
> vapor
> temperature.   The wiggle 3-D images do not require any special glasses for
> viewing.
> The higher clouds wiggle more than the lower clouds, giving a perception of
> depth.
> The wiggle image are in color.

Very good.

re:
> The selection of the U.S. at the top of the US image selections, and the WHEM
> at the
> top of the hemispheric image selections will provide a 3000x5000 roamable
> image.  I had
> wanted a larger roamable frame, but the MAP program would not work correctly
> for larger
> frames.

If it is not working in the full v2017/v2017a release, I want to know about it
since part of the SSEC code modifications in their v2017.2 release was to
support
much larger frames.

re:
> Use the slider bars at the side and bottom of your browser to move around in
> these large images.  All of the rest of the images are the same 640x960 size
> as before.
>
> For the hemispheric image selections, the volcanic ash algorithm for the
> GOES-east has
> been changed to using 3 infrared channels (band 13-15 and band 13-11).  The
> algorithm is
> not fully verified yet. The convective diagnostic is currently solely a
> satellite product
> (convective areas are where IR and WV temperatures are within 1 degree of
> each other).
> The previous product used a global K index in conjunction with the satellite
> product.
> This was taken out for the time being until a more reliable method of
> accessing global
> model data is implemented. Hence some of the convective areas (in red) at high
> latitudes may just be thick synoptic clouds.

Nice.

re:
> If you are interested in any of the locally developed code (such as the
> brightness
> normalization, Rayleigh scattering correction, correlation of channels, cloud
> heights,
> etc.) let me know.

I am, and I think that SSEC will be also.

FYI: one of the biggest changes in SSEC McIDAS-X v2017.2 that is replicated in
Unidata McIDAS-X/-XCD v2017 is the addition of an automatic stretch for certain
bands of certain satellites.  I have replicated the SSEC description of the
new MCSTRETCH environment in the Unidata v2017 release notes:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/release_notes.html

This page has a link to a description of MCSTRETCH:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/mcstretch/MCSTRETCH.html

re:
> If you have any comments, concerns, or suggestions, please contact me.

Quetions:

- Are you/Chris intending (or already have) on upgrading to the non-beta Unidata
  McIDAS-X/-XCD release?

  I strongly recommend that you do!

- Are you willing/interested in publicizing the ERAU web page(s)?

  If yes, a note to address@hidden and possibly address@hidden
  would be in order.

Ticket ID: SIP-623086
Department: Support McIDAS