[McIDAS #JGN-249914]: IMGMAKE

Hi Mike,

re:
> I'm still working with the pre-release version you sent me a while
> back and I found something that doesn't seem right and wanted to ask
> you about it.

OK.

First:  One of the things I will be working on today is putting the
"official" Unidata v2017 release in the web area for download.  I
was going to send you an email later today to let you know, but you
beat me to it :-)

re:
> If I do an IMGDISP from a data set on your lead.unidata.ucar.edu
> server for an IR band of GOES-16, it appears to display as intended
> with the bi-linear stretch applied.  I can also use an SU table and
> that works fine too.  I can remap to an area file and everything still
> works.

The first item you mentioned is a result of the new MCSTRETCH environment
introduced in SSEC McIDAS-X v2017.2.  This new environment is one of the
reasons that I had more work to do before releasing the Unidata v2017
distribution.  The MCSTRETCH environment will automatically apply new
core stretches to select bands for a variety of satellites.  For GOES-16
those bands are:

2    - 0.64 um VIS
7    - 3.9 um shortwave IR
8-10 - water vapor bands

The MCSTRETCH environment was developed to address a range of satellites
whose instruments can sense in a range of temperatures (bands 7-10 for
GOES-16) and albedos (band 2 for GOES-16) that exceed the "standard"
two slope relationship between counts and temperature, and albedos that
exceed 100%.

re:
> But if I use IMGDISP on a local data set, it will display dimmer,
> apparently without the bi-linear stretch.  I can still apply an SU
> table with IMGDISP though.

That is because you are not (yet) running a version of McIDAS-X that
implements the new MCSTRETCH environment.  You will be after I put the
Unidata v2017 release out there for you to grab, and you have installed
it.

re:
> Now if I try to use IMGREMAP on a local data set of mine and then run
> IMGDISP on that, it's both dimmer and SU tables don't work.  No errors
> or anything, they just don't apply.  In other words, if I want to
> remap a local data set, I can't seem to adjust the IR bands to
> something more appropriate.

I don't understand the stretch tables not working.  This should definitely
not be the case!

re:
> Because these features work with data from your lead server, I'm
> assuming that this has something to do with how my pre-release version
> "serves" data.

It is more accurate to say it has to do with how the new Unidata v2017
release serves the data.

re:
> I just want to make sure that's the case and that this
> behavior will go away with the full release.

Yup, it should!

re:
> I also wasn't sure if
> this had anything to do with this new MCSTRETCH feature that
> apparently came with SSEC v2017.2
> (http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/software/x/mcstretch_info.html).

Yup, yup, yup! :-)

re:
> Hope all is well on your end,

I had a long weekend of converting my SCMI ADDE servers to support
the net MCSTRETCH environment.

Ticket ID: JGN-249914
Department: Support McIDAS