[McIDAS #ZDH-931339]: Displaying of multi-bands images in McIDAS-X environment.

Hi Sohail,

re:
> I tried to look for the display of color  images
> (Multi-band/Hyper-spectral) images in McIDAS-X. But i am totally lost.

I think you are talking about two different things:

- using multiple bands from the same satellite to create so true-color
  images

  If you have multiple bands from the same satellite that have the
  exact same domain (spatial coverage) and resolution, then the
  process of creating a pseudo true-color image is:

  - display each band in a different McIDAS-X frame making sure
    that the centering and resolution of each displayed image
    are the same

  - use the COMBINE command to combine the three frames into a
    single true-color image

- colorizing single bands that have been dislayed

  The EU (Enhancement Utility) command is used to list, create,
  delete, etc. image enhancement tables.  EU is also used for
  restoring color tables to the frame in which an image is
  displayed.  In addition, the IMGDISP command has an EU=
  keyword that loads the named enhancement into a frame.

  Please review the McIDAS Learing Guide Chapter 7 on
  enhancements to learn more about how to use the EU command
  and EU= keyword for IMGDISP to colorize images.

re:
> I am
> unable to find the multi-bands images, the process how to calibrate it and
> display it in the McIDAS-X  :(.

Combining multiple image bands in a pseudo-true color image relies
on one having the desired to create the appropriate display.  The
Japanese satellite Himawari has three bands in the visible spectrum,
so it is a great one to use to create pseudo-true color images in
McIDAS-X.  Unfortunately, I don't know of an ADDE server that
makes Himawari imagery available for free.

The SSEC Data Center, however, does have Himawari imagery, and Unidata
university sites are entitled to get 5 GB of imagery per month for free.
Information on getting access to images in the SSEC Data Center archive
can be found in:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/blogs/news/entry/free_satellite_archive_data_access

re:
> 1. Is there anyway how to display IR or any other images with colors, as i
> have seen some cyclone images on line with colors and i think it looks to
> be created through McIDAS-X(if i am not wrong). ?

Yes.  Please review the use of the EU command and Learning Guide section
on enhancements.

re:
> 2. Is it possible that i have some images of Cyclone MARIA saved in my
> local data set, can be displayed as colored IR (or any other colored image
> like RADAR etc) using McIDAS-X.?

If the images are in a format that McIDAS-X understands, and you create
an ADDE dataset for the images, then you can display them using
IMGDISP and colorize them using EU.

re:
> or any other image on live server that can
> be displayed as colored image.

Again, please review the Enhancements section of the McIDAS-X
Learning Guide.

re:
> 3. I have tried to find multi-band image in McIDAS-X servers, but how to
> know that which group contain the multi-band images.?

There are not many ADDE servers that have freely available imagery
much less multi-banded images.  The Himawari imagery is very useful
for creating pseudo true-color displays, and, as I noted above,
Unidata university sites can get free access to the images through
the SSEC Data Center.

Ticket ID: ZDH-931339
Department: Support McIDAS