[McIDAS #YGF-361048]: GOES R calibration

Hi Ioan,

re:
> thanks again for taking your time in answering my email. For me it's quite
> helpful and reassuring to be able to exchange ideas an opinions on McIDAS X
> with you.

No worries, and I agree that it is incredibly useful to be able to bounce
ideas off of someone else who is familiar with the subject matter at hand!

re:
> We did have a License for the last three years but we stopped it this year
> because itdid not make sense to pay for  the license just for convert GVARs
> to NetCDF.  This is one of the reasons I developed pygvar and pyadde and
> pyarea:))

OK.

re:
> The second was we use python and a solid and robust integration of McIDAS
> X into our processing chains was not a very straightforward thing.

I understand.

re:
> I personally have the feeling many people in meteo/geo community would very
> much enjoy using mcidas from python:)) and I am happy i have my python
> code.

Either the SSEC v2017.1 or v2017.2 distribution contains the beginnings
of using Python for McIDAS-X scripting.  Just so you know, the McIDAS
developers in SSEC are BIG Python fans.  This is really reflected in the
CSPP GEO package developed in CIMSS by SSEC developers.

re:
> However, at times there can be a burden but, it is also a chance to
> go really deep into things and understand them properly. So all in all i am
> satified

Very good.

re:
> I think though i might have downloaded 2016.2 or even 2017.1  so I'll have
> a look.

I _think_ that the code that populates the calibration array in abinaget.cp
is the same in SSEC McIDAS-X v2017.1 and v2017.2.  I seem to recall that
there have been wholesale changes that may or may not have affected the
calibration array content since the original release of the GOES-R ADDE
servers in their v2016.2 release.

Since it is very likely that SSEC will create online documents for their
GOES-R calibration setup, I will extract what I see in their v2017.2
version of abinaget.cp and send it along.  This will have to wait until
I have finished completely rewriting my calibration module for the
SCMI format GOES-16 imagery that is being sent across the NWS' NOAAPort
SBN.

Ticket ID: YGF-361048
Department: Support McIDAS