[McIDAS #JAV-781741]: McIDAS-X on Windows or Linux

Hi Kwan,

re:
> After more than two years of usage, my Windows 10 suddenly broke down a few
> days ago, and I came to the dreadful realization that I would probably need
> to reinstall Windows, which meant that I might need to reinstall CentOS and
> McIDAS.

What broke?  I've been using my Dell Studio 14 laptop for over 7 years, and
it is still working nicely.  I did replace the system disk (C:) with an
SSD, but that was to speed up the machine, not because the original disk
was failing.

re:
> I did wind up reinstalling Windows for the past couple of days.
> Now, the next thing is to tackle with CentOS, and I think I will need some
> help from you.  I am hoping that I do not need to re-do the whole thing as
> it appears that CentOS resides in a separate partition than Windows.

If you still have the VMware CentOS image on disk, and if it is not damaged,
it would seem that all you would need to do is re-install VMware Player
(free); start it up; and then find the CentOS image and add it to the
(now empty) list of VMs that you can run.  I've done this kind of thing
several times (e.g., when I moved my CentOS image from the C: drive to
an external drive), and it is very simple.

re:
> Have you continued to test running McIDAS-X in Windows these past couple of
> years?

No.  I think that running in a VM is much better as all of the things
available in the Linux VM are available.

re:
> What have you learned so far and what updated information do you
> have?

Again, I never wanted to much with having to figure out a set of
programs that would need to be installed in Windows to get McIDAS
working in Windows (e.g., X server, etc.).  Because of this, I
have never created a Windows image for Unidata McIDAS-X.  This
means that anyone who wants to run McIDAS-X in Windows will need
to use the SSEC image, and this does not contain a number of
Unidata addons.

Again, if your CentOS image is still intact/not damaged, then you
are probably a half hour away from being back up with a VMware
Player hosted CentOS image.

Ticket ID: JAV-781741
Department: Support McIDAS