[McIDAS #LLN-564004]: GOES-16 data and McIDAS

Hi Heather,

re:
> So, I have a few questions for you.

Ready...

re:
> First off, I just have plain old mcidas 2016.  When did 2016a come out?

I don't recall, AND I was surprised to see that the update file,
mcupdate.tar.gz, is missing from the McIDAS v2016 downloads site/page.

re:
> Could this be the problem?

Maybe, but when I was running the vanilla v2016, I never encountered the
message "Unknown command* No SSH tunnels to terminate", so my inclination
is to say that I don't think that this is the cause.

re:
> Do you have a server anywhere that still has 2016 on it to test that?

No, sorry.  I have access to one user site that might still be running
v2016, so I may be able to test there.

re:
> Also ... I asked a co-worker of mine who is much more linux-smart than I
> am for some help with the ssh tunneling issue.  He says that based on the
> imglist debug output that mcidas looks like it is trying to go out and grab
> data (he got that from this error: ADDE request using port 112 with
> compression:
> NONE)  and is trying to establish ssh tunneling and then was never able to
> establish it, hence the last error (Unknown command* No SSH tunnels to
> terminate).

As far as compression goes, if one follows the instructions in the Unidata
McIDAS-X User's Guide for setting up the 'mcidas' account (assuming that
one is trying to run the tests out of the 'mcidas' account), then the
~mcidas/admin/mcidas_env.sh or ~mcidas/admin/mcidas_env.csh environmental
setting scripts will be sourced at login to the 'mcidas' account.  The
same guidance is given for the non-mcidas user where the
~mcidas/admin/user_env.sh
or ~mcidas/admin/user_env.csh will be sourced.  Sourcing the shell specific
file will result in the environment variable MCCOMPRESS and other environment
variables needed for Unidata McIDAS being defined.  For instance, here is the
list of McIDAS environment variables that are defined for my 'mcidas' user
on my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS system here at home:

$ env | grep MC
MCBIN=/home/mcidas/bin
MCHOME=/home/mcidas
MCUPDATE=/home/mcidas/mcidas2017/update
MCCOMPRESS=GZIP
MCTABLE_WRITE=/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT
MCSRC=/home/mcidas/mcidas2017/src
MCDATA=/home/mcidas/workdata
MCTABLE_READ=/home/mcidas/workdata/MCTABLE.TXT;/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT
MCVER=2017
MCGUI=/home/mcidas/bin
MCPATH=/home/mcidas/workdata:/home/mcidas/workdata:/home/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/help

If your environment does not look like this, then you should source the shell
specific environment variable setting file in your McIDAS login and then try
your tests again.

re:
> This is confusing to me, because the data
> is local, it should not have to go out and get anything!

Every access to an ADDE dataset is through ADDE server references regardless
if they are local or remote.

re:
> Could this be a port 112 issue?

Doubtful.

re:
> I tried to load in the data off-network and am getting these errors then too.

I guess we are coming down to the question of whether your login environment
for McIDAS has been defined correctly.

re:
> Also:  I removed Randy from the email chain as he is on travel all week and
> doesn't
> need to think about this : )

OK, I removed the CC for him in our inquiry tracking system ticket, so he
won't get CCed on exchanges from now on.

re:
> Thanks!

No worries.

Ticket ID: LLN-564004