[McIDAS #TVR-927190]: GOES-16 ADDE Data Access

Hi Fred,

er:
> Yes, I will agree to not publishing the images or basing any decisions on the
> data.

Very good.

re:
> I am concerned about getting the software ready for the November operational
> date.
> I plan to initially just get the current products transitioned to the GOES-16
> data
> format.  Then we will experiment with increasing the space and time
> resolution to
> see how our system will stand up to the increased communications speeds, data
> storage
> requirements, and data processing requirements.

I understand.

re:
> NESDIS is planning a suite of new products from GOES-16.  Do you know how
> these
> will be made available (NESDIS server, NOAAport, or relayed through UNIDATA)?

A set of Level 2 products are already flowing in NOAAPort, and we are
relaying them in the LDM/IDD NOTHER feed.

Comments:

I have been developing an ADDE server for the ABI images that are being
sent in NOAAPort, but I suspended development to see what the effects
of the current test (run by NOAA, not us) of not remapping most of the
sectors being sent (e.g., CONUS, Puerto Rico and Mesoscale-[12]) like
they have been doing.  What I saw on Friday after the unremapped images
started being sent convinced me that I needed to resume my ADDE development.

My previous examination of the format of the L2 products being sent in
NOAAPort strongly suggested that my new server would not be needed to
serve/use these L2 products; the core McIDAS v2017 ones should work.

As soon as I finish my ADDE server development for the NOAAPort delivered
ABI images, I will be releasing Unidata McIDAs-X v2017.  The other thing
that could delay this a bit is SSEC's intention of releasing an
addendum to their v2017 sometime very soon.

Ticket ID: TVR-927190
Department: Support McIDAS