[McIDAS #JGN-249914]: IMGMAKE

Hi Mike,

re: black spots in IR images
> I'm sorry to report they still appear for me.  I'm attaching two more
> images, newwv1.gif is band 9 from lead.unidata.ucar.edu.  They appear
> in band 13 as well, but are more obvious in band 9.

OK.  This should all be fixed when I get the true calibration module
written.  And, having a "registered" calibration module will allow
IMGCOPY to create viable (meaning fully usable) AREA files.

re: makes the use of EU tables easier.

> FWIW, newwv2.gif is a sample from my local data, prior to updating
> McIDAS to the latest version.  The side-by-side of the two clearly
> shows how brightness has increased in your latest version.

The brightness definitely increased, but the pixel-to-pixel variation
at the lowest IR temperatures is visibly less than for the GRB-delivered
GOES-16 images.  Investigating this is what I was spending my time
(aside from all of the other things needing to be done around here)
yesterday and Monday.  Admitting that I need to write a full calibration
module was a disappointment yesterday afternoon, but it should solve
two major problems that exist currently.

re: available bandwidth in NOAAPort

> Bingo.  The GOES-R NOAAPort document states the data rate "is not
> expected to exceed 25 Mbits/second."  But that's per satellite, so
> after GOES-17 lights up that's up to 50 Mbits/s.  While that's just
> the estimated peak rate, our NOAAPort receiver is only rated to handle
> 80 Mbits/s, with only a 10/100BaseT network interface.  I don't know
> if WFOs have a different kind of receiver, but I do know NOAAPort
> bandwidth was a concern for the GOES-R series.  So I think you're
> right, I think that's at least part of why the full disk is as coarse
> as it is.

I assume that it is exactly the reason that the full disk images all
have reduced resolution.  An interesting comparison is the size of
band 2 images between GRB and NOAAPort:

GRB C02    NP C02    (worst case today)
441316419  1752893

440 MB vs 1.7 MB (both approx.) !!

re: decision to remap imagery for AWIPS

> Funny you mention this.  One of the things I've been exploring is
> re-creating our current satellite page using GOES-16 data with McIDAS.
> The projection used for the CONUS sector seems very close to the
> GOES13/15 data coming over the NIMAGE feed.  But since IMGCOPY still
> isn't working with GOES-16,

See my comment above...

re:
> I've been using IMGREMAP which does work
> to get the data into area files.  My question is this: is there a way
> to read the projection information from a data set (GOES-13/15) to
> know exactly what parameters I need to pass IMGREMAP in order to
> create an identical projection?

The way to create an identical projection is to remap onto an existing
image.  Quick example:

IMGCOPY GINICOMP/GSN8KIR MYDATA/IMAGES.3000 SIZE=SAME
IMGREMP NPGOESR/CONUSC13 MYDATA/IMAGES.3000 SSIZE=ALL

re:
> Side note:  The conical projection doesn't bug me too much, though I'm
> somewhat biased as we've been plotting satellite imagery in that
> projection here for as long as I can remember.

What annoys me about the remap is loss of information in the data.

re:
> What does annoy me is
> the northern extent of the CONUS domain being so close to the border.

I completely agree!  WTF, Canada doesn't have weather that is important
for the U.S.!?

re:
> So now the only option we have to plot imagery into Canada is to use
> the overly-coarse full disk data.  Is what it is I suppose.

Yes, for now.  As soon as we get our data serving component of our
GOES-16 ingest up and running, sites will be able to create image
sectors with the coverages they want.  We will, of course, have to
keep a close eye on use of this service so that it doesn't keel
over from over subscription.

re: stay tuned

> Looking forward to it.  Thanks for everything!

Having you testing code changes and giving feedback and advice has
been very useful for me.  I really do appreciate it!

Ticket ID: JGN-249914
Department: Support McIDAS