[McIDAS #JGN-249914]: IMGMAKE

Hi Mike,

re:
> Good news, I was able to build and install McIDAS v2017.

Excellent.

re:
> But I did
> run into one issue during the install that you should be aware of.
>
> Short version, I needed to add the following to line 219 in
> ~/mcidas2017/src/tclcomp.sh:
> "Linux 4."*) RUNTIME_PATH="-Wl,-rpath,$TCL_PREFIX/lib";;

Hmm... your machine is running a v4 kernel, interesting!

re:
> After the initial install, when attempting to run the mcidas gui I
> would be greeted with "mcwish: error while loading shared libraries:
> libtk8.5.so: cannot open shared object"
>
> After verifying libtk8.5.so was right where it should be, I came
> across an old support email exchange
> (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/mcidas/msg04677.html).
> We're currently running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for just about everything,
> and from the output of 'uname -r' our kernel version is:
> 4.4.0-34-generic... another bump in major versions.

Ah Ha!

re:
> Many of those
> other symptoms appeared for me, including the libs missing when I ran
> 'ldd mcwish' and the mcwish output in makelog missing the directory
> after -rpath.  So once I found that email exchange I checked
> tclcomp.sh... sure enough only 2.* and 3.* are being handled.  I
> copied the line for 4.*, make clobber -> make -> make install, and the
> gui opens up just fine now.

Excellent sleuthing!!

re:
> I'm sure you saw where that was going, but I figured the last email
> thread helped me, so maybe this will benefit someone else down the
> road... or myself when I inevitably go through all this again in a
> year or two.  ;)

Good thinking, and a BIG thanks for digging into and coming up with the
correct fix!  I just updated my v2017 source with this (and a couple of
other mods related to MacOSX).

Thanks again!

I have attached a McIDAS BATCH file that you can use as a template for
setting up ADDE datasets for the GOES-16 images currently being sent
as tiles in NOAAPort and being redistributed in the IDD NOTHER feed.
To use this file you need to:

- copy it to your MCDATA directory

  For user 'mcidas' this is typically ~mcidas/workdata for Unidata McIDAS-X
  installations.

- edit the file and change the directory path in each DSSERVE line to match
  how your 'ldm alchemy'-installation is writing reconstituted images
  to disk on your test machine.

- after making the needed mods to NPGOESRADDE.BAT, you can make the
  dataset definitions using BATCH from a McIDAS-X session:

  BATCH NPGOESRADDE.BAT

Also:

I have been playing around with creating a McIDAS enhancement that will
make the IR channels of the GOES-16 images brighter

The McIDAS BATCH file that I have been playing with, BRITIMAGE.BAT, is
also attached to this reply.

You can either use this BATCH file directly, or use it as a template to
tweak your displays.

Example:

1) copy BRITIMAGE.BAT to your MCDATA directory

2) run the BATCH file to create a McIDAS enhancement named BRITIMAGE.ET:

   BATCH BRITIMAGE.BAT

   This will create the file $MCDATA/BRITIMAGE.ET.

3) display one of the IR channels in a McIDAS frame.  For example:

   IMGDISP NPGOESR/FDC13 LAT=0 89.5 MAG=-2 EU=BRITIMAGE SF=YES REFRESH='EG;MAP
FILE=OUTVHPOL'

4) try running EU MAKE commands like the ones in BRITIMAGE.ET to tweak the
   display of the image loaded in 3)

   When you get something you like, run EU to save the enhancement like the
   last step in BRITIMAGE.BAT.

Please let me know if/when you have any questions.

Ticket ID: JGN-249914
Department: Support McIDAS