[McIDAS #JGN-249914]: IMGMAKE

Hi Mike,

re:
> I wanted to provide you with a quick update and had few questions...

Ready...

re:
> I've been using the feed you provided with our version of McIDAS-X to
> do some testing (thanks for that).

I'll assume that you are referring to access to the ADDE server for the
NOAAPort-delivered GOES-16 imagery tiles that have been reconstituted
back into full scenes by Ryan May's ldm-alchemy Python package...

re:
> So far I'm fairly impressed, it
> handles just about everything we try reasonably fast and suspiciously
> efficient.

I'm still making tweaks to things like mapping raw "counts" to brightness...

re:
> Is the data you're providing in that feed still in netCDF4
> format, or did some conversion take place first?

The reconstituted images are in netCDF4 format.

re:
> Because if it's
> still netCDF I'm amazed that there isn't more of a cpu/memory hit in
> processing it.

You have to remember that a LOT of the "heavy lifting", the stitching
together of the tiles, has already been done by ldm-alchemy.  The
other thing is that the ADDE servers are written in C.

re:
> I'd like to do some tests with local data, and have ldm-alchemy in
> place and working, but I'm having a hard time getting McIDAS to
> recognize the data exists.

Serving the data via McIDAS ADDE requires the Unidata McIDAS v2017
distribution.  There is no support for the NOAAPort ABI images in
netCDF4 format in v2016.x.

re:
> I haven't modified ldm-alchemy at all and
> I'm still something of a McIDAS novice, so I wasn't sure if I'm
> missing something simple.  Would it be possible to get an example
> DSSERVE command, and do I need to get the data named or stored in any
> special way?

The first thing is to get a pre-release copy of Unidata McIDAS v2017,
build and install it.  Since I'm still actively tweaking the code, installing
it would require that you rebuild the ADDE servers when I make newly
tweaked source available.

re:
> One last, hopefully simple question.  Because GOES16 doesn't do this
> before the data comes out anymore, a popular request has been to apply
> a square root enhancement to the images in order to brighten up the
> lower end.  In python I can just do math on the data, but I'm not sure
> how to do that in McIDAS.  Do I need to make a square root enhancement
> table, or is there a better way?

The thing I'm working on right now is a scheme to better (meaning make
brighter) map the "counts" (12-bit values) in the original image
to brightness values.  If I am successful (and I expect that I will be),
then the resultant images won't need special enhancements.

re:
> Thank you so much for all your help!

No worries.

If you can wait a day or two, I'm hoping to have a pre-release for v2017
that has the raw -> brightness tweaks that I am referring to above.  If
you are raring to go, I can make a current pre-release available to you
so you can get started.  Please let me know what your preference is.

Ticket ID: JGN-249914
Department: Support McIDAS