[McIDAS #WPD-667222]: Fwd: McIDAS 2017 install

Hi Greg,

re:
> OK -  I added the .mcenv file which was missing and made sure group write
> privs were set for $MCDATA.

Excellent!

re:
> Upon further investigation, the above edit
> error looked to be caused by our server failing to have the "ed" editor
> installed.

I totally forgot that this became an issue since 'ed' is not installed by
default in some Linux distributions; sorry!

re:
> We did a yum install of that and got a bit further. We are now
> getting:
>
> [root@typhoon mcidas]# ./mcinet2017.sh install mcadde
> Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status  xinetd.service
> mcinet2017: /etc/services: mcidas: adding service lines
> mcinet2017: xinet: Using xinetd.d to set up services
> mcinet2017: /etc/hosts.allow: mcidas: adding service lines
> mcinet2017: /etc/xinetd.d/mcidas: modifying file
> ./mcinet2017.sh: line 713: [: too many arguments
> mcinet2017: WARNING: xinetd not listening
> Try running the script again in a few minutes.

OK, I ran into this also.  My solution was (and is likely to be in
the actual release) to change the shell used in mcinet2017.sh from
'sh' to 'bash'.  Give this a try and see if the script doesn't run to
the end with no errors.

re:
> This server is running CentOS7 and this error looks like it could be OS
> related. Line 713 is an if statement related to a part of the code that
> seems to be checking what kind of OS is running. Let us know what the next
> step should be. If you need access to our server we could set that up as
> well if that would help.

The issue is that 'sh' (which, by the way, is actually running run as
'bash' with some flags) has a problem with line lengths that are "too"
long.  Changing the script to run as 'bash' should eliminate this problem
altogether.  In the distant past, this would likely have been a problem
since 'bash' was not as omnipresent as 'sh', but now 'sh' is actually
'bash'.  Check this listing of 'sh' and 'bash' on my CentOS 6.8 Linux
development system:

/home/mcidas% ls -alt `which bash`
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 941944 Jan 11 11:29 /bin/bash*
/home/mcidas% ls -alt /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jan 12 16:02 /bin/sh -> bash*

Ticket ID: WPD-667222
Department: Support McIDAS