[McIDAS #WPD-667222]: Fwd: McIDAS 2017 install

Hi Greg,

re: following Unidata McIDAS-X User's Guide setup for user 'mcidas'
> Yes I was following the instructions above. I have a .bash_profile set up
> with the McINST_ROOT variable defined. The admin dir did not yet exist so
> it was unclear if I needed to define anything else before running make mcx.

Unfortunately, for a brand new installation, it is a bootstrap process:

- download mcidasx2017.tar.gz and mcunpack

  Make sure that mcunpack has execute permissions

- define McINST_ROOT

- unpack the distribution

- at this point, the ~mcidas/admin directory will exist, so...

  - either re-source the shell-specific definition file (e.g.,
    .cshrc, .bash_profile, etc.)

  - better yet, logoff and then log back on

- now, all McIDAS environment variables needed/used for the build should be
  defined, so do the build

  cd ~mcidas/mcidas2017/src
  make                         <- builds McIDAS-X
  OR
  make all                     <- builds McIDAS-X and -XCD
  OR
  make all xrd                 <- builds McIDAS-X, -XCD and -XRD

- if/when the build succeeds, install what was built:

  make install                 <- installs McIDAS-X
  OR
  make install.all             <- installs McIDAS-X and -XCD
  OR
  make install.all install.xrd <- installs McIDAS-X, -XCD and -XRD

If the environment variables defined in one of the shell-specific scripts
for 'mcidas' in ~mcidas/admin are not defined, it is very likely that the
build will fail.

re:
> I reran the make according to your instructions above. The results were the
> same.

To be clear, this was after you verified that the McIDAS environment variables
defined in ~mcidas/admin/mcidas_env.sh (since your shell is BASH) are defined?
To check this, run 'env' and look for CC, FC, FFLAGS, etc. to be defined.

Ticket ID: WPD-667222
Department: Support McIDAS