[ldmMcidas #EDF-431845]: McIDAS GOES 16

Hi Paul,

re:
> As of today, we saw some GOES 16 data coming across NOAAPORT.

Yup, the GOES-R era is finally ** almost ** here.

re:
> It is my
> understanding that the data sets are not readable by McIDAS. Do you
> have any information on how this will be released for McIDAS display

One of my first priorities will be to see how I can modify the McIDAS-X
ADDE server for GOES-R data ingested from the GRB to support the modified
GOES-R/S data that is/will be broadcast in NOAAPort.  I have been waiting
for the GOES-R server to settle down (stop going through large updates)
before attacking this, and it is probably now time to do the work (I
received notification of a new McIDAS-X release from SSEC Wednesday
afternoon).

FYI: we have been concentrating our efforts on getting our GOES-R ingest
capability up and running.  Being able to ingest and display the ABI
imagery that started being sent from GOES-16 yesterday (Thursday) was
a the first step in establishing a fully functional GOES-R ingest and data
serving capability here in Unidata/UCAR.

I will send a note to the mcidas-x email list as soon as I have incorporated
SSEC latest code into the Unidata McIDAS-X release.  Whether or not this
will include the capability of serving the GOES-R data that is being
sent over NOAAPort is TBD.  I will know more when I see how different
the NOAAPort delivered images are from the ones in the direct broadcast.

Ticket ID: EDF-431845
Department: Support ldm-mcidas