[McIDAS #WYW-911038]: Problem on downloading unidata version of McIdas-X

Hi Wonsook,

Sorry for the slow reply...

re:
> 1. I asked our system administrator to install McIdas-X and I started reading
> the manual
>    and learning guide to get used to MCIdas-X. In the meanwhile, when I typed
> the "SFCLIST"
>    command with a few example station names in McIdas-X command windows
> introduced at
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/workshop/started-1.html ,
> the error
>    message is shown as below.
>
> Pipe read: Connection reset by peer
> Nunber of reports =0
> SFCLIST: done
>
>    Can anyone tell me what does "Connection reset by peer" mean?

The SFCLIST command in the Learning Guide relies on one's McIDAS-X session being
setup so that it knows where to get decoded surface data (e.g., METAR).  Since
I am not sure if you have done this yet, please try the following:

<in your McIDAS-X session>

DATALOC ADD RTPTSRC ADDE.UCAR.EDU

then re-issue the SFCLIST command that you tried before, e.g.:

SFCLIST KMSP KRGK KMLI KLAR KMSN KBEC

re:
> 2. Another question is, without using LDM, how can I read past (old or not
> current)
> GOES-east images and manipulate them using McIdas-X?

You would need to either have access to an ADDE server that serves the historic
GOES-East imagery that you are interested in, or you would have to download
the GOES-East image files for the time period that you need/want; setup an
ADDE dataset that encompasses those images; and then use the McIDAS commands
to list (IMGLIST), display (IMGDISP), remap (IMGREMAP), copy (IMGCOPY) or
manipulate (IMGOPER) the images.

More information on these and all other McIDAS-X commands can be gotten in
your McIDAS-X session using the McIDAS-X HELP command.  For example:

<from your McIDAS-X session>
HELP
COMMAND      DESCRIPTION
------------ -----------
ABBA         Decodes and plots wildfire ABBA products
ADDEINFO     Display formatted ADDE transaction log records
ADDEREAD     Read a file from a remote ADDE server
ADDGRID.BAT  Add computable grids to UW stream G-grid product
ADT          Estimates tropical cyclone intensity using Advanced Dvorak
Technique
ADUMP        Lists area contents in hexadecimal
ADVDISP      Plots flight advisories (airmets and sigmets)
AKA          Adds, deletes and lists aliases for ADDE datasets
ALTIM        Calculates sounding data at standard aviation heights or pressures
ARGHELP      List on-line help for McIDAS command line syntax.
ASK1         Defines questions to prompt the user for string input
ASTAT        Measures image statistics

HELP IMGLIST
IMGLIST -- Lists image directory information
   IMGLIST dataset epos <keywords>
Parameters:
   dataset | ADDE dataset name and position; specify as alias.position or
             group/descriptor.position where the position "ALL" represents
             all positions in the dataset, a position number greater than
             zero represents an absolute position in the dataset, and zero
             or a negative number represents a relative position in the
             dataset based on image time, with 0 being the most recent,
             -1 the second most recent, etc; to use the default position,
             either enter its value or omit the .position portion
             (no def for group/descriptor or alias, def=0 for position)
   epos | ending absolute position number of data on server; must be
          greater than 0; valid only if the position number specified in
          the dataset parameter is greater than 0
                      as the default for the FORM keyword
       =ALL         | list all bands; uses default for FORM keyword (def)
   DAY=bday eday | list only images within the specified range of dates
                   (no def for bday, eday def=bday)
   FORm=AUDIT | list default output plus audit trail
       =BAND  | list default output plus band information
       =ALL   | list BAND output plus expanded image directory
       =MEMO  | list OPS output plus memo field and creation information
       =OPS   | list image directory information in LA command format
                (def=list standard 1-line summary of image directory)
   ID=station | list only images with the specified NEXRAD
                station ID, e.g., MKX
     =LIST    | list the most recent image for all NEXRAD stations
   SS= | list only images with the specified sensor source number
   TIMe=btime etime | list only images within the specified range of times
                      (no def for btime, etime def=btime)
   WL=bwl ewl | list all bands with image wavelengths in the range bwl
                to ewl; uses FORM=BAND as the default output format; valid
                only with high spectral resolution data, e.g., Aqua AIRS
   WN=bwn ewn | list all bands with image wave numbers in the range bwn
                to ewn; uses FORM=BAND as the default output format; valid
                only with high spectral resolution data, e.g., Aqua AIRS
Remarks:
   If a negative position is specified in 'dataset', all images from that
   position to the most recent are listed. For example, if you specify
   position -5, the six most recent images (positions 0,-1,-2,-3,-4,-5)
   are listed.

   When using FORM=BAND or FORM=ALL, the latitude and longitude resolution
   values listed with each band are for the image's center point. The line
   and element resolution factors (where "1" equals the base resolution
   factor of the instrument) are listed in the last line of the FORM=ALL
   output. If there are multiple bands with different resolutions, the
   resolution factors in the last line are for the band(s) with the lowest
   resolution.
----------

etc.

re:
> I will read manual more, but I
> think asking expert(s) at McIDAS support team would be also a great idea. My
> goal is
> calculating solar radiation and net solar radiation using GOES satellite
> images.

OK.  The fist thing you should do is become familiar with the McIDAS-X
environment, and how to run commands.  Working through the McIDAS-X Learning
Guide and the tutorial from the latest McIDAS-X workshop should get you going.
If you find that you need more detailed help, we could arrange for you to
visit here in Unidata, and I can walk you through some examples one-on-one.

re:
> Thank you very much for your help in advance.

No worries, and again, I apologize for the slow reply.

Ticket ID: WYW-911038
Department: Support McIDAS