[McIDAS #EFX-757750]: Troubleshooting CentOS-6.1-64bit

Hi Kwan,

re:
> After solving the high disk usage problem related to Windows Updates, I
> finally have time to get back to running McIDAS.

Very good.

I'm curious if you are sticking with Windows 8.1 or have upgraded to
Windows 10?

re:
> But I think I will need
> some help from you to troubleshoot a problem after starting
> CentOS-6.1-64bit.  After I have opened up VMware Player and
> CentOS-6.1-64bit, I do not see a drop-down menu which would allow me to
> open up Linux utilities such as the x-terminal.  I did try to reinstall
> VMware Player but the menu did not reappear.  I have attached a screen shot
> for you.

The screen shot you included doesn't tell me much as it is devoid of any
content.

Questions:

- when you start the CentOS VM, are you presented with a login screen?

  If yes, which user did you login as before taking the screen shot?

  If no, there is something wrong with the VM setup, but exactly what
  this might be I can not guess... yet.

- if you are not presented with a login screen when the VM boots up,,
  what do you see?

If you get to a blank screen after logging in as, say, user 'mcidas',
then it is likely that the graphical environment for 'mcidas' is
messed up.  If you were presented with a login screen that listed
'mcidas' as one a couple/several users, have you tried logging in as
one of the other users?  If yes, what was the result?

re:
> Thanks again for your help.

Did you keep a copy of the original CentOS 6.1 VM that I made available
to you?

Ticket ID: EFX-757750
Department: Support McIDAS