[McIDAS #GSA-478310]: ingesting mcidas area files in awips

Hi Justin,

re:
> Thank you, Tom.
> Yes, the problem was exclusive with AWIPS.

Yup, I thought it must be.

re:
> On a side note and for consistencies sake I converted MSG3 HRV to AREA
> files and was able to successfully ingest and display the files in AWIPS
> each time -- no issues.

Interesting!  Thanks for passing this along!!

BTW, Michael reminded me of the following:

re: have we had success bring AREA file-based imagery into AWIPS-II?

  Outside of UNIWISC, no.  And the GVAR products are still not fully
  supported.  Right now all non-GVAR UNIWISC products decode and display
  perfectly, but the GVAR products return a persistence error if more
  than a single product is ingested (EDEX thinks that the product already
  exists if a previous scan was ingested that day, even though the timestamp
  is obviously different, so basically ingest works for one image per day
  per product).  This make me wonder if the same problem occurs with the
  Himawari images.

So, the problem you have been having with the Himawari images may
(or may not) be tickling a more general problem in AWIPS-II.  We don't
like this situation, but...

Ticket ID: GSA-478310
Department: Support McIDAS