[Miscellaneous #UFF-250801]: GOES east & west geotiff files

Hi Derek,

re:
> Thanks again, Tom.  Your time is appreciated.

No worries.

re:
> It sounds like programmatically requesting images is the way to go.

I think that this is the easiest thing at least to begin with.

re:
> I also like your suggestion of creating a test geotiff file, to assure what
> end product
> is required before investing time in a system/software to do so.  The files
> that I know
> to work perfectly are those located here:
> ftp://satepsanone.nesdis.noaa.gov/GIS/GOESwest/

OK.  I grabbed one IR file and took a look at it... it looks like it might have
been
created by McIDAS-X.

re:
> The .TIF files here are flat equidistant projections.  The files are geotifs,
> so  that
> each pixel has a certain resolution in degrees lat/lon, and the far top and
> left bounds
> of the image are given also in degrees lat/lon in the corresponding .tfw
> files.  The
> Python language knows just what to do with these images.

OK.

re:
> Our focus area is the tropics, so a GOES east and west that covers at least
> from 45 S to
> 45 N would be more than sufficient (although additional coverage is fine).  I
> attached a
> sample plot of our basemap with the GOES east and west from Satepsanone, and
> you can see
> that they stop at ~ 15 S.  Ideally, we'd like to go down to ~ 45 S.  If other
> areas
> could also be covered, such as Europe and Africa, this would be ideal, but I
> realize
> that these may only be available from EUMETSAT.

I am attaching a McIDAS-X generated GeoTiff file from the most recent of the
global IR
composites (available when I ran it, of course) distributed by our IDD in the
UNIWISC
datastream.  Note that these images are available every 3 hours.

re:
> That being said, most of our computers on this project are Windows based,
> which might
> pose a slight issue for McIDAS-X; however, we have some linux machines that
> could
> potentially be employed to do the task.

While McIDAS-X can run on Windows, Unidata McIDAS-X does not.  I strongly
recommend
to users that they run Unidata McIDAS-X under Linux.  In fact, my McIDAS
development
environment is a CentOS 6.7 64-bit VMware virtual machine that runs under VMware
Player on my Windows 7 laptop.  This is a great environment for me as I have
both
Linux and Windows running on the same machine, so I can take advantage of both
environments at the same time.

re
> Many thanks,

No worries.  Please let me know the results of you trying the attached image in
your
application.

Ticket ID: UFF-250801
Department: Support Miscellaneous