[Miscellaneous #UFF-250801]: GOES east & west geotiff files

Hi Derek,

re:
> I just called UNIDATA and was given your contact email.

I drove your email into our inquiry tracking system so that others here
can chime in if/when appropriate.

re:
> I'm working on a project at the University of Michigan, and I need to
> create a digital display that shows recent GOES east and west imagery.
> I currently have a 2D equidistant global map in lat/lon coordinates,
> and ideally I need GOES visible images that are geotiffs so that they
> can be superimposed over the map, and updated when new images become
> available.

OK.

re:
> I have had great success using NOAA's Satepsanone server
> (ftp://satepsanone.nesdis.noaa.gov/GIS/GOESeast/), where geotiffs are
> regularly uploaded.  This is precisely what I need, however, these
> geotiffs do not cover enough of the southern hemisphere (they only go to
> about 16 S).
>
> Does your organization supply full Goes east and west imagery, in
> the geotiff format?

No.  We provide access to GOES imagery sectors (fixed coverages) in
PNG-compressed AREA format in our Internet Data Distribution (IDD)
UNIWISC data stream.  Users typically use one of the software packages
that we provide free of charge to display these images.  One of the
packages, McIDAS-X has the capability of compositing scans to increase
north-south coverage, remapping these composites into a Lat,Lon
projection and then saving these in GeoTiff format.

re:
> If not, what file formats do you offer that can be
> regularly downloaded (hourly, 3-hourly, or however often)?

Global Water Vapor and thermal IR images are available every
three hours.  Composites of GOES-East VIS, shortwave IR, WV, thermal
IR and longwave IR that are created to include as much South
American coverage as is available are created every  30 minutes.

re:
> Many thanks for any advice you can provide.

Converting into GeoTiff is not currently a service that we offer,
but our software can do the job.

> Regards,
> Derek Starkenburg

Ticket ID: UFF-250801