[McIDAS #RWF-297700]: McIDAS 2015 installation questions

Hi Gilbert,

I got a chance to return to looking at the McIDAS-X/XCD setup on
weather2 this morning, and I have some comments and questions:

Comments:

- I needed to change the ownership of some log files in ~ldm/logs
  in order for McIDAS scouring (~ldm/util/mcscour.sh kicked off
  from cron) to work

  While at it, I deleted some really old log files in the LDM logs
  directory.

- I see that you are keeping the minimum number of images and
  decoded POINT files in the McIDAS portion of LDM processing

Questions:

- given that weather2 has a LOT of disk space available, do you
  want to change what you are keeping for McIDAS?

  I am thinking that increasing the number of images being kept
  from 4 (current) to 32 or 96 would be useful.  I am also thinking
  that you could easily keep 8 days of data decoded into McIDAS
  MDXX format with no problems.

- in order to make a change in the number of images kept in the
  McIDAS side, I would need to completely change how images from
  the UNIWISC feed are handled in 'pqact' actions

  There are two ways of doing this:

  - process each image with the ldm-mcidas 'pnga2area' "decoder"
    and store them in a hierarchy

  - FILE the images to disk directly in a hierarchy

  The upside of FILEing is that the images on disk will take a lot
  less space.

  The downside of FILEing is that non-Unidata packages (e.g., WXP)
  would not understand the compressed image format (but McIDAS,
  GEMPAK, and the IDV would)

So, what do you want to do next?

By the way, it is my desire to fully sort out what is happening on
weather2 before touching weather3.

Ticket ID: RWF-297700
Department: Support McIDAS