[McIDAS #JTG-722928]: installation error

Hi Justin,

re:
> I figured I would start from way-back-when... the last time you installed
> McIDAS on my system.
>
> I recently needed to format my system and reinstall McIDAS. I opted to
> install the latest version, but run into an issue when I try to source (.
> .bash_profile) as mcidas. It is saying cat: /home/mcidas/data/VERSION.TXT:
> No such file or directory. I looked and confirmed that this was not
> available.

The ~mcidas/data directory will not have any content on a new install
until the executables have been built AND installed.  It is the
installation process that copies "data" files from the package
data directory (e.g., ~mcidas/mcidas2015/data) to the ~mcidas/data
directory.  After this step, you should be able to log out and
then log back in and the error noted above should disappear.

re:
> To try and make sure I did the install correctly, I copied the bash profile
> that you created, so I hopefully wouldn't encounter future issues.

OK.

re:
> My bash profile for  user <mcidas> is as follows:
>

> *# .bash_profile# Get the aliases and functionsif [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
> . ~/.bashrcfi# User specific environment and startup programs# McINST_ROOT
> and VENDOR conforming shell defines# needed to bulid
> McIDASMcINST_ROOT=$HOMEVENDOR=-gfortranexport McINST_ROOT VENDOR# NOTE:
> uncomment the next two lines that set MySQL_ROOT if you#       want to
> build with MySQL support:#       - leave the value blank if MySQL is
> installed in a standard#         location#       - specify the value as the
> root directory of the MySQL#         installation if MySQL is not installed
> in a standard#         location# MySQL_ROOT=TRUE# export MySQL_ROOTif [ -e
> $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.sh ]; then  . $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.shfi*

As you can see, this listing looks like gibberish.  I assume that
the actual content of your .bash_profile file looks like:

# McINST_ROOT and VENDOR conforming shell defines
# needed to bulid McIDAS
McINST_ROOT=$HOME
VENDOR=-gfortran
export McINST_ROOT VENDOR

# NOTE: uncomment the next two lines that set MySQL_ROOT if you
#       want to build with MySQL support:
#       - leave the value blank if MySQL is installed in a standard
#         location
#       - specify the value as the root directory of the MySQL
#         installation if MySQL is not installed in a standard
#         location
# MySQL_ROOT=TRUE
# export MySQL_ROOT

if [ -e $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.sh ]; then
  . $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.sh
fi

re:
> I sourced after copy and pasting this information and came up with a
> warning that the system could not find VERSION.TXT file.

Had the 'make install.all' step been completed before .bash_profile
was sourced?

re:
> I ran the "make all" command after and it appears to have compiled without
> issue.

Very good.

re:
> The problem is when I went to install via the "make install.all" command.
>
> Attached is the error log I received. Also, I installed all libraries on
> the user guide.

Hmm... the error is that linking of executables from the package src
directory can not be made to ~mcidas/bin.  I have _never_ seen this
before!  The only thing I can think of is that 'mcidas' does not
have write permission in ~mcidas/bin.  Can you verify that everything
in and under ~mcidas is owned by 'mcidas' and the group is also correct?

Ticket ID: JTG-722928
Department: Support McIDAS