[McIDAS #FCI-632826]: Looking for McIDAS-xrd from ssec.wisc.edu

Hi Tim,

re:
> We're introducing AWIPS 2 case study playback functionality into our
> system for a class coming up in a couple weeks:
>
> 1) We obtained EDEX from Unidata.  Getting that running with real-time
>    data was by far the easiest step (thanks Michael!)
> 2) We're using NWS Operations Proving Ground (OPG) scripts to dump data
>    we harvested from various web sites into QPID/Edex
> 3) The satellite script uses imglist.k, imgremap.k, and imgcopy.k on the
>    CLASS data we're using to create a netcdf file.  Then, a NetCDF/NCO
>    command is used to add to the netcdf header (ncatted)

OK.  The only part of the above that I have no knowledge of is the
netCDF/NCO command used to add to the netCDF header.

re:
> The resulting files are seen by Edex, but are dumped with an Edex error
> like "There is no WMO header in the file"

Have you asked Michael about this?

re:
> Folks at the OPG offered a couple possible solutions, one of which is to
> install this XDR version.  The routines mentioned specifically are
> awipadir, awipaput, and awipaget.  They note, "The XRD version means you
> will be using the AWIP server instead of the netCDF server. I was told
> that the AWIP server allows for closer conversion to AWIPS netCDF files"

OK.  The XRD portion of the Unidata McIDAS-X v2014 distribution contains
the AWIPS ADDE server routines, awipadir.cp, awipaget.cp and awipaput.cp.
The only problem is that I never replaced the v2009 with the v2014 version.

re:
> It seems like I'd receive an error while trying to process the data if
> it was looking for a command that doesn't exist with our distribution,
> but who knows?

One would think.

re:
> It works for the guys at OPG.

Are they using the XRD AWIPS servers?

re:
> If you guys have a better way of inserting the WMO header into these
> netcdf files, please let me know!

I have no idea of what header is trying to be added to the netCDF file.

re:
> Hope that helps, and if you are able to steer us away from installing
> this XDR version, by all means, do so!!!

I wasn't trying to steer you away from using XRD routines.  I was trying
to steer you away from the problems you would likely run into when trying
to build and install the SSEC version of McIDAS-X.

I put the Unidata McIDAS-X v2014 distribution out on anonymous FTP for
you to grab:

machine:   ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
user:      ftp
pass:      your_email_address
directory: pub/mcidas
files:     mcidasx2014.tar.gz
           mcunpack
           mcinet2014.sh
           mcunpack

The installation is as follows:

- FTP all files to the HOME directory of your McIDAS-X user (~mcidas)

- change the read/write/exectute of mcunpack to include execute

- make sure that the environment variable MCHOME is defined to be the
  HOME directory of your McIDAS-X user (again, ~mcidas)

- unpack the Unidata McIDAS-X v2014 distribution

  cd ~mcidas
  ./mcunpack

- CD to the v2014 src directory and build everything:

  cd ~mcidas/mcidas2014/src
  make all xrd
  make install.all install.xrd

  NB: the final step will overwrite your current McIDAS-X installation
  with v2014 executables, etc.

If you run into any snags, please don't hesitate to contact me.  I
can drop by your office to help you get things working correctly
and also take a look at what a netCDF file with an "augmented" header
looks like.

Also, please let me know as soon as you have FTPed our v2014 distribution
as I need to delete it from anonymous FTP ASAP.

Ticket ID: FCI-632826