[McIDAS #JAV-781741]: McIDAS-X on Windows or Linux

Hi Kwan,

re:
> I would like to get back to you regarding system selection and installation
> of the virtual machine, etc for running McIDAS-X.

OK.

re:
> I am checking out a
> Toshiba laptop with i7-4710HQ (quad), Mobile Intel HD graphics, 8GB RAM,
> 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1 for $549.99.

This sounds like a good deal.

re:
> I also saw solid state drives of 256GB
> for $90, 500GB $180, 1TB for $358.

Questions:

- where did you find the 500 GB SSD for $180?

- what is the manufacturer of the SSDs you are referring to?

  We prefer the Samsung EVO or PRO SSDs, but I must add that
  we don't have experience with recent offerings from SanDisk,
  etc.

re:
> What do you think about these deals?

These are very good deals.  I asked about the 500 GB SSD since I am
planning on buying one for my own Dell Studio 14 laptop (which will
be 5 years old in July, but it is still going strong).

re:
> I am thinking of just getting the $549.99 laptop but would also consider
> upgrading my current laptop to a solid state drive.

My advice if the cost differential is no or little problem is to
buy a new laptop.  The Toshiba should be plenty fast, and the
8 GB of RAM will allow you to do a lot of different things
at the same time.  Like I said before, I use my laptop for my
McIDAS development machine (in the CentOS 6.6 x86_64 VM), and
for running IDV and McIDAS-V and all of the Office applications
in Windows7.  The only thing that would entice me to change from
this setup would be a high/higher end Mac laptop.

re:
> Thanks again for your help.

No worries.

Ticket ID: JAV-781741