[McIDAS #RTI-611076]: downloads link broken?

Hi Suvarchal,

re: which McIDAS did you download from SSEC, McIDAS-V?
> Yaa, that is true, I downloaded McIDAS-V,

OK.

re:
> I confirm address@hidden is mine.
> Thanks a lot for registering me as non .edu user.

No worries.  NB: this change was only for McIDAS-X access.

re:
> I am able to access McIDAS-X now. I dont know difference
> between McIDAS-X and V.

McIDAS-X is the 4th generation of McIDAS software from UW/SSEC.
It is a Fortran and C application that is still the choice for
satellite meteorologists.  Unidata McIDAS-X comes with a data decoding
component named McIDAS-XCD and a data serving component named
ADDE (Abstract Data Distribution Environment).  The POINT, TEXT and
IMAGE data you likely access in the IDV from weather.rsmas.miami.edu
is served by ADDE.  McIDAS-X components are in active use on
weather.rsmas.miami.edu but mostly in the background.

re:
> I wanted to check if they have any more functionality then my IDV.

McIDAS-V is about 95+% the IDV, BUT it does provide two systems
that IDV does not (yet) have:

- ADDE serving of local satellite imagery

- hyperspectral imagery analysis and display through a component
  known as Hydra (Hydra at one time was a standalone package that,
  like the IDV and McIDAS-V uses the VisAD package for its data
  model and visualization (among other things).

McIDAS-V, however, lacks several things that the IDV provides:

- adaptive resolution capability for satellite imagery

- full integration with RAMADDA

The GUI in McIDAS-V is slightly different than that of the IDV,
but most of the differences are cosmetic only.

Ticket ID: RTI-611076