[McIDAS #JAV-781741]: McIDAS-X on Windows or Linux

Hi Kwan,

re:
> It has been a while since we have communicated.  How have you been?

I have been well, thanks!  I trust that you are doing well also?

re:
> I have asked you about this a few years ago.  Have you recently tested on
> running McIDAS-X on Windows with a UNIX emulator?  I would like to run
> McIDAS-X at home, and I am trying to weigh the pros and cons on running
> McIDAS-X on Windows and Linux at home before committing to one.  Costs and
> the level of maintenance, as well as internet security issues are the main
> concerns.  I appreciated your insights.

I have never done the work needed to get Unidata McIDAS-X running in Windows.
The impact of this is that the McIDAS installation for Windows is SSEC's,
and that, in turn, means that it lacks the additions and bugfixes that
are available in Linux/Unix version of Unidata McIDAS-X.

Perhaps my own experience in use of a Windows machine as the base for
running Unidata applications (e.g., McIDAS-X, LDM, GEMPAK, IDV) would
be useful for you.  For several years now (about 4 I think), my McIDAS
development environment has been a CentOS 6.x x86_64 (64-bit) VMware virtual
machine that runs inside of VMware Player (which is free for non-commercial
use) on my Windows 7 laptop (I7, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, ATI graphics).
I like this environment so much, that it would be very hard for me to
operate in any other way.  I consider that I have the best of both
worlds: Windows for Windows things (e.g., MS Office and the IDV running
natively) and Linux for Linux things (e.g., McIDAS-X (including remote
ADDE serving), LDM (which does _not_ run in Windows), IDV (it runs better
directly in Windows since VMware Player does not provide direct access
to the video card in the machine; evidently non-free VMware products do),
and GEMPAK.

The question is if you want to pursue the VM approach, or if you want
a single OS solution?

Ticket ID: JAV-781741
Department: Support McIDAS