[McIDAS #PKA-410853]: GOES channel in LDM and McIDAS

Hi Brice,

re:
> I know this is a trivial exercise, but I can't find any direct information
> on the web about and one of you folks can probably help me out fast.

Maybe yes, maybe no Mister Danger ;-)

re:
> (old joke: "I'd love to help you out... which way did you come in?")

:-)

re:
> We are having RFI problems with our direct-readout satellite ingestor
> for GOES-West.  Somebody put up a cell tower or something and our
> wireless hunter group can't find them so we can drop a rock on them.
> We have a forward plan to install band-pass filters on the h/w receiver,
> but they are a special-build item and the manufacturer can only agree
> to try to get them in before we need them for the upcoming EFT-1 mission.

I understand the problems associated with satellite data ingest.  We
solved a long-standing problem with our GOES-West ingest back in September
and have been fighting dropped frames on our NOAAPort ingest ever since.
WRT our NOAAPort ingest: we send some representative numbers of missed
frames that we are seeing to folks at NOAA/Raytheon, and we were told
that our numbers were about the same as were (and probably still are)
being seen at WFOs (we experience about 400-600 'Gap' messages that
represent associated 600-1000 dropped UDP frames per day).  We are still
trying to figure out how we can get ingest of the expanded NOAAPort
broadcast to be as good as with the non-expanded broadcast where
we would experience only a handful of 'Gap' messages each day.

But back to your email:

re:
> As a backup we were looking at NESDIS and some GINI servers out on the
> web when it suddenly hit us that we have GINI data coming over NOAAPort.

Right!

re:
> Could someone up there shoot me a quick email on how I would configure
> LDM to drop out some selected GINI data and get it visible in McIDAS?

The answer depends on your NOAAPort ingest system.  If, for example, you
are using our NOAAPort ingest package (bundled with current versions of
the LDM), then the GOES sectors in GINI format will be found in the
NIMAGE datastream.  If you are using some other NOAAPort ingest package,
then the info below may not match/match well.

Here is the LDM pattern-action file action we use to FILE NOAAPort GINI
images to disk:

#
# NOAAPORT GINI Images
#
# Zlib compressed NOAAPORT GOES-East/West GINI Images -- FILE
NIMAGE  ^satz/ch[0-9]/.*/(.*)/([12][0-9][0-9][0-9][01][0-9][0-3][0-9])
([0-2][0-9])([0-5][0-9])/(.*)/(.*km)/
        PIPE    -close
        util/ldmfile.sh
data/pub/native/satellite/\1/\5_\6/\2/\5_\6_\1_\2_\3\4.gini

Comments:

- this action is part of a pattern-action file template (pqact.conf_nimage_file)
  that include in the Unidata McIDAS-X distribution

  I have included the pattern-action file template to this reply.

- the shell script 'ldmfile.sh' is something I wrote so that the receipt of
  each image could be logged.

  I have attached the version of 'ldmfile.sh' that I include in the Unidata
  McIDAS-X distribution.

- once the data are on disk, the only thing left is to create ADDE dataset
  definitions for the NIMAGE GINI products

  I have attached a McIDAS BATCH file (GINIADDE.BAT) that I include in the
  Unidata McIDAS-X distribution that sets up ADDE definitions for the GINIEAST,
  GINIWEST and GINICOMP datasets.

Question:

- are you using the SSEC or Unidata McIDAS-X distribution?

  If you are using the SSEC distribution, several of the GINI
  ADDE server routines/files likely should be updated.  I
  can provide you with the updates and ABC for installation.

re:
> BTW - we are using an RPM version of LDM 6.12.6, so I don't have the
> full source at the moment.

OK.  LDM source is not needed.

Please let me know if the above helps...

Ticket ID: PKA-410853
Department: Support McIDAS