[McIDAS #CKA-730646]: Cannot contact server

Hi Heather,

re:
> Thanks Tom, I appreciate your help.

No worries.

re:
> I am going to document everything so we have it for next time.

This is a good idea :-)

re:
> I was very confused as to how to set up the mcadde account, so
> I set it up like it is on our old decoder.  Things must have changed
> within mcidas (???) because that configuration worked just fine with
> the old machine!

I remember well having several email exchanges with your predecessor
about how the setup of Unidata McIDAS-X is subtly different than
SSEC McIDAS-X. It looks like you might have gotten stuck with a
configuration that was a hybrid between the two, and, so, was much
harder to understand.  If you continue to use Unidata McIDAS-X, your
setup on npxcd will not change in the future.

re:
> Thanks again,

No worries.

re:
> P.S. I still haven't heard from Steve Emerson about the weird error in our
> ldmd.log file:
> Sep 24 11:13:17 npingest noaaportIngester[29470] ERROR: Unknown NOAAport
> channel 9 PUNT
> It seems that this is a new one, lucky us!

We have seen the PUNT message before, so it is not entirely new.  What is
strange,
however, is the reference to channel 9!  The PIDs being used in the expanded
NOAAPort
broadcast are 101-108 which have associated multicast addresses 224.0.1.1 -
224.0.1.8,
inclusive.

If you don't mind, I will login to your ingest machine and take a quick peek
at its NOAAPort ingest setup -- just to be sure.

re:
> Also the number of Gap errors has increased significantly for us today:
> 207 today and only 1 yesterday.

This is a very big change indeed, and not one for the better!

re:
> Our Signal Strength is still at -70 dBm.

I don't understand your indicated signal strength at all.  To my mind, a signal
of -70 dBm does not go along with a C/N of ~14 dB.  But, then again, you never
know.

re:
> I think we might have someone out to do a tune up on our noaaport system
> like you all did.

I would wait a couple/few days and decide based on the number of Gap messages
you get over that time.  If you decide to proceed, you may learn that your
signal strength really is -70 dBm or that it is much better.  You should
also get a handle on if there are sources of terrestrial interference (TI)
that are contributing to noise in your signal.

Ticket ID: CKA-730646
Department: Support McIDAS