[McIDAS #CKA-730646]: Cannot contact server

Hi Heather,

re:
> I made the changes to the /etc/passwd file, but now I cannot log into the
> mcadde account:
> [root@npxcd ~]# su mcadde
> This account is currently not available.

Nobody is supposed to be able to login to the 'mcadde' account; that
was the whole purpose of changing the shell for 'mcadde' to /sbin/nologin.

In Unidata McIDAS-X all ADDE configurations are done in the 'mcidas' account,
and\ 'mcadde' has access to those configurations by virtue of its HOME
directory being the same as 'mcidas'.

re:
> Also, I am not sure which configuration file I need to modify for xinet.
> The /etc/xinetd.conf file doesn't look like the one that you mentioned here?!?

I modified /etc/xinetd.d/mcidas for you.  It now reads:

#mcidas (port 112)
service mcidas
{
        flags           = REUSE
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = mcadde
        port            = 112
        server          = /home/mcidas/bin/mcservsh
        server_args     = -H /home/mcidas
}

After restarting xinetd:

<as 'root'>
-- modify /etc/xinetd.d/mcidas
service xinetd restart

the 'sleet' account on fsoc1 is now using the ADDE setup in the
'mcidas' account on npxcd.  That this is the case is shown by:

[sleet@fsoc1 data]$ dsinfo.k I RTNEXRAD

        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: RTNEXRAD

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
DAA          99999    Digital Accumulation Array
DHR          99999    Digital Hybrid Reflectivity
DOD          99999    Digital One Hour Difference
DPA          99999    Digital Precipitation Array
DSD          99999    Digital Storm Total Difference
DSP          99999    Digital Storm Total Precipitation
DTA          99999    Digital Storm Total Accumulation
DVL          99999    Digital Vertical Liquid H2O
EET          99999    Enhanced Echo Tops
HHC          99999    Hybrid Scan Hydrometeor Classification
N0C          99999    Correlation Coefficient Tilt 1
N0H          99999    Hydrometeor Classification Tilt 1
N0K          99999    Specific Differential Phase Tilt 1
N0Q          99999    Base Reflectivity DR Tilt 1
N0R          99999    Base Reflectivity Tilt 1
N0S          99999    Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt 1
N0U          99999    Base Velocity DV Tilt 1
N0V          99999    Radial Velocity Tilt 1
N0X          99999    Digital Differential Reflectivity Tilt 1
N0Z          99999    248 nm Base Reflectivity
N1C          99999    Correlation Coefficient Tilt 3
N1H          99999    Hydrometeor Classification Tilt 3
N1K          99999    Specific Differential Phase Tilt 3
N1P          99999    1-hour Surface Precipitation
N1Q          99999    Base Reflectivity DR Tilt 3
N1R          99999    Base Reflectivity Tilt 2
N1S          99999    Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt 2
N1U          99999    Base Velocity DV Tilt 3
N1V          99999    Radial Velocity Tilt 2
N1X          99999    Digital Differential Reflectivity Tilt 3
N2C          99999    Correlation Coefficient Tilt 5
N2H          99999    Hydrometeor Classification Tilt 5
N2K          99999    Specific Differential Phase Tilt 5
N2Q          99999    Base Reflectivity DR Tilt 5
N2R          99999    Base Reflectivity Tilt 3
N2S          99999    Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt 3
N2U          99999    Base Velocity DV Tilt 5
N2X          99999    Digital Differential Reflectivity Tilt 5
N3C          99999    Correlation Coefficient Tilt 6
N3H          99999    Hydrometeor Classification Tilt 6
N3K          99999    Specific Differential Phase Tilt 6
N3Q          99999    Base Reflectivity DR Tilt 6
N3R          99999    Base Reflectivity Tilt 4
N3S          99999    Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt 4
N3U          99999    Base Velocity DV Tilt 6
N3X          99999    Digital Differential Reflectivity Tilt 6
NAC          99999    Correlation Coefficient Tilt 2
NAH          99999    Hydrometeor Classification Tilt 2
NAK          99999    Specific Differential Phase Tilt 2
NAQ          99999    Base Reflectivity DR Tilt 2
NAU          99999    Base Velocity DV Tilt 2
NAX          99999    Digital Differential Reflectivity Tilt 2
NBC          99999    Correlation Coefficient Tilt 4
NBH          99999    Hydrometeor Classification Tilt 4
NBK          99999    Specific Differential Phase Tilt 4
NBQ          99999    Base Reflectivity DR Tilt 4
NBU          99999    Base Velocity DV Tilt 4
NBX          99999    Digital Differential Reflectivity Tilt 4
NCR          99999    Composite Reflectivity
NET          99999    Echo Tops
NTP          99999    Storm Total Precipitation
NVL          99999    Vertical Liquid H2O
OHA          99999    One Hour Accumulation
PTA          99999    Storm Total Accumulation

DSINFO -- done

and:

[sleet@fsoc1 data]$ imglist.k RTNEXRAD/N0R ID=LIST
Image file directory listing for:RTNEXRAD/N0R
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
   1  RADAR         24 SEP 14267  13:36:08     BOX    1
   2  RADAR         24 SEP 14267  14:13:26     GRK    1
   3  RADAR         24 SEP 14267  14:20:49     OKX    1

I think you are now in business, but I will leave it to you
(and others there) to test the remote ADDE access more fully.

Ticket ID: CKA-730646
Department: Support McIDAS