[McIDAS #CKA-730646]: Cannot contact server

Hi Heather,

re:
> Tom: yet another issue!
>
> When I am trying to view my data from another machine on my network: I get
> this error:
>
> address@hidden ~]$ dataloc.k ADD RTNEXRAD 10.2.15.253
>
> Group Name                    Server IP Address
> --------------------         ----------------------------------------
> RTNEXRAD                     10.2.15.253
>
> <LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data
> directory.
> DATALOC -- done
>
> address@hidden ~]$ dsinfo.k I RTNEXRAD
> dsinfo.k: Cannot contact server (connect() failed)
> No Datasets found of Type: IMAGE in Group: RTNEXRAD
> DSINFO -- done

This is because remote access to the ADDE server on your new machine
has not yet been setup.  Since this needs to be done by 'root', I
was unable to take the necessary steps when I was logged on yesterday.
Here is the high level overview of the process (specific to CentOS):

<as 'root'>

- install xinetd

  yum install xinetd

- configure xinetd to run at boot

  chkconfig xinetd on

- start xinetd

  service xinetd start

- configure xinetd to understand ADDE

  cd /home/mcidas
  sh ./mcinet2009.sh install mcadde

  This assumes that the user 'mcadde' has been created as per the
  instructions in the Unidata McIDAS-X User's Guide.  I did not check
  if this was the case on your new machine yesterday

- as 'mcidas':

  cd ~mcidas
  cp admin/mcadde_env.ksh .mcenv

  NB: Korn shell must be installed!

  Make sure that ~mcidas/.mcenv is readable by 'mcadde'!
  Review the settings in ~mcidas/.mcenv to make sure that
  they match your McIDAS installation (you can most likely
  use the .mcenv from your old machine (~mcidas/.mcenv).

- as 'mcidas'

  Configure ADDE datasets.  You may have already done this by
  copying the RESOLV.SRV file from your old machine's ~mcidas/workdata
  directory to the new machine's ~mcidas/workdata directory.

> address@hidden ~]$
>
> I had no issues with my old decoder:
>
> address@hidden ~]$ dataloc.k ADD RTNEXRAD 10.2.15.96
>
> Group Name                    Server IP Address
> --------------------         ----------------------------------------
> RTNEXRAD                     10.2.15.96
>
> <LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data
> directory.
> DATALOC -- done

The problem is that ADDE server access has not been setup yet.

re:
> address@hidden ~]$ dsinfo.k I RTNEXRAD
>
> Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: RTNEXRAD
>
> Name         NumPos   Content
> ------------ ------   --------------------------------------
> N0R          99999    Base Reflectivity Tilt 1
> N0S          99999    Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt 1
> N0V          99999    Radial Velocity Tilt 1
> N0Z          99999    248 nm Base Reflectivity
> N1P          99999    1-hour Surface Rainfall
> N1R          99999    Base Reflectivity Tilt 2
> N1S          99999    Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt 2
> N1V          99999    Radial Velocity Tilt 2
> N2R          99999    Base Reflectivity Tilt 3
> N2S          99999    Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt 3
> N3R          99999    Base Reflectivity Tilt 4
> N3S          99999    Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt 4
> NCR          99999    Composite Reflectivity
> NET          99999    Echo Tops
> NTP          99999    Storm Total Rainfall
> NVL          99999    Vertical Liquid H2O
>
> DSINFO -- done
>
> This error is occurring for our other products as well: RTPTSRC and RTWXTEXT.

See above.

re:
> I checked with our network admin and he said that all ports between the
> two machines are open and there are no firewall restrictions between
> the two machines.

OK, good.  I should have mentioned above that inbound traffic to port 112
needs to be open on the new machine

re:
> When I perform the dsinfo command on my new decoder, I get no issues, so I
> know that it can see the data.

I think you mean "on your new decoder machine".  Decoders create output
that one can configure ADDE to server.

re:
> Do you have any ideas what may be blocking this?

It is not setup yet.  I would do it for you, but I (think) do not have
'root' access on your new decoder machine.

re:
> Thanks!

No worries.

Ticket ID: CKA-730646