[McIDAS #KYW-895647]: Questions on 64 bit Mcidas installation

Hi Fred,

I just got some time to start looking into the GRDDISP PARAM=MOVIE issue you
raised...

re:
> You asked about the NAM/NAM ADDE source.  It is the local copy of the NAM218
> AWIPS 12 km
> grib2 grids (nam.tccz.awip12fh.tm00.grib2 with all the boundary layer files).
>  I linked
> the McIDAS to the grib2 data using the DSSERVE command with the GRIB option
> and the
> DIRFILE= the local address of the NCEP grib2 files.

OK, thanks for the information.

re:
> In the example I showed I was
> using the 10 m winds, but the same thing happens for any level wind data.
> You should be
> able to link to your local copy of the model data to see if the movie option
> works for
> you.

I unfortunately found out that the ADDE server instance we have setup to serve
fields in GRIB/GRIB2 format is screwed-up -- I don't access model data in
McIDAS-X
much, so this may have been going on for quite some time, and I will have to
attend to it soon.

But, our setup for decoding and serving GRIB messages into McIDAS GRID format
is working OK.  Given this, I should be able to investigate if there is or is
not a problem with GRDDISP on 64-bit systems.

re:
> If you get the spaghetti, then it is a general problem and Russ should be
> brought
> into the effort.  If your movie option works on your 64 bit machine with the
> latest
> McIDAS code, then it is my localized problem here.

Here is what I did:

DATALOC ADD RTGRIDS ADDE.UCAR.EDU
DSINFO G RTGRIDS

        Dataset Names of Type: GRID  in Group: RTGRIDS

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
ALL           1310    Real-Time Grids
ECMWF           10    Real-Time ECMWF Grids
GFS            300    Real-Time GFS/AVN Grids
MDR             10    Real-Time MDR Grids
MISC            10    Other Real-Time Grids
NAM            120    Real-Time ETA Grids
NGM             40    Real-Time NGM Grids
RUC             80    Real-Time RUC Grids
UKMT           110    Real-Time UK Met Grids

DSINFO -- done

GRDDISP RTGRIDS/NAM PAR=STREAML LEV=10

GRDDISP RTGRIDS/NAM PAR=MOVIE LEV=10

I have attached FRMSAVE captures from both GRDDISP commands to this reply:

grddisp_streaml_2014251_00z.gif <-> GRDDISP RTGRIBS/NAM PAR=STREAML LEV=10
grddisp_movie_2014251_00z.gif   <-> GRDDISP RTGRIDS/NAM PAR=MOVIE LEV=10

I interpret the displays to indicate that there seems to be no problem
with running GRDDISP in my CentOS 6.4 x86_64 environment:

/home/mcidas% uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.32-431.23.3.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Jul 31
17:20:51 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

/home/mcidas% file ~mcidas/bin/grddisp.k
bin/grddisp.k: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically
linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, not stripped

Now the question is if there is a problem with the GRIB server in your
64-bit environment (since you indicated that the data is all local).

Can you send me more specific information on how you setup your NAM dataset?
The output from:

DSSERVE LIST NAM

should suffice.

Ticket ID: KYW-895647