[McIDAS #SPD-261945]: Mcidas Install

Hi Heather,

re:
> I am having issues installing mcidas on my new machine. I am trying
> to install the latest mcidas2009 from March 8, 2014 on my new machine
> with CENTOS-6.4 (CENTOS-6.5 would not work with the RAID setup the sys
> admin did).

OK.  I had no problems building under CentOS 6.4 when I was it before
upgrading to CentOS 6.5.

re:
> I am getting a lot of errors with the mnmx in fortran. The first time
> it failed, I found this response from you:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/mcidas/msg04560.htm
>
> and your response to
>
> <in the mcidas2009/src directory after the error creating mnmx.o>
> touch mnmx.o
> make
>
> worked just fine.

OK.  I just reviewed the makefile for v2009x and see that there is an
action to build mnmx.o from mnmx.for, so barring an error in building
mnmx.o, you should not be having a link problem.

Please take a look in ~mcidas/mcidas2009/src/makelog and see if there
was a problem in building mnmx.o.  Here is what a successful build of mnmx.o
looks like in my McIDAS build log:

./mccomp -g -gfortran -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc -I../hdf/hdf/src
-I../hdf/mfhdf/libsrc -I../jpeg -I../libpng -I../zlib -I../tiff/libtiff
-I../libgeotiff -I../jasper/src/libjasper/include -I../g2clib -I../bzip2 -c
mnmx.for
mccomp: Using default optimizations
rm -f mnmx.o
gfortran -c -O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic -fno-range-check
-ffixed-line-length-none -fno-f2c -g -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc -I../hdf/hdf/src
-I../hdf/mfhdf/libsrc -I../jpeg -I../libpng -I../zlib -I../tiff/libtiff
-I../libgeotiff -I../jasper/src/libjasper/include -I../g2clib -I../bzip2 mnmx.f
mnmx.f:61.13:

        DO 60 L1=LA1,LA2,(LA2-LA1)/50.
             1
Warning: Deleted feature: Loop variable at (1) must be integer
mnmx.f:61.17:

        DO 60 L1=LA1,LA2,(LA2-LA1)/50.
                 1
Warning: Deleted feature: Start expression in DO loop at (1) must be integer
mnmx.f:61.21:

        DO 60 L1=LA1,LA2,(LA2-LA1)/50.
                     1
Warning: Deleted feature: End expression in DO loop at (1) must be integer
mnmx.f:61.25:

        DO 60 L1=LA1,LA2,(LA2-LA1)/50.
                         1
Warning: Deleted feature: Step expression in DO loop at (1) must be integer
compile mnmx.for:               done

re:
> However, my build ended again with this error and I cannot get past it:
> ./libmcidas.a(mapdef.o): In function `mapdef_':
>
> /home/mcidas/mcidas2009/src/mapdef.f:115: undefined reference to `mnmx_'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> link    stnplot.k:              FAILED

OK.  As soon as we figure out why mnmx.o was not built and/or not added to
libmcidas.a, we will have a solution for this problem.

re:
> I would appreciate any help you can offer. I am a bit confused at all
> of this, based on internet searches this seems to be an old problem. I
> have also installed this version of mcidas before and never with this
> problem. I have attached my Makelog.

If this build attempt was on a completely new machine, I will guess that
the problem(s) you are running into can be surmounted by:

1) make 'mcidas' account

2) download McIDAS source file, 'mcunpack', and mcinet2009.sh

3) unpack the newly downloaded distribution:

   cd /home/mcidas

   MCINST_ROOT=/home/mcidas
   export MCINST_ROOT

   chmod +x mcunpack
   ./mcunpack mcidasx2009.tar.gz

4) make sure that your shell-specific environment file is setup
   with the needed defines for building McIDAS:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/PreparingthemcidasAccount.html

5) logoff and then log back on

6) (re) build

   cd ~mcidas/mcidas2009/src