[McIDAS #TSV-261063]: Using McIDAS-V to access SSEC's Open Archive

Hi Jane,

re:
> I understand the trouble of having to go through all those steps. So,
> here's what I suggest, if you can do it for only TC Hettie and TCs Tomas
> and Ului, that would suffice.

OK.

re:
> A composite of the five days prior for each
> of the satellite imageries (IR, WV, VIS) for these two TCs would work for
> the presentation as I would point out the challenges in working on this
> project.

Question:

- you say "a composite of the five days prior for each of the satellite
  imageries"

  I am unclear by what you actually mean.  For instance, you listed
  a time range for TC Hettie:

  TC Hettie:
  date range: January 20, 2009 to January 25, 2009
  time: 00:00:00 UTC to 00:00:00 UTC

  The date range you list _is_ 5 days.  So, do you want images that:

  - start at 0Z on January 20 and go through 0Z on January 25

    I think that this is what you are asking for, but the fact that
    the date range for TC Hattie is 5 days leads to a confusion.

  - or do you want images that start at 0Z on January 15 and go through
    0Z on January 20?

    January 15 would be 5 days _before_ the start of the date range
    for TC Hettie.

  I need to get this cleared up before I start creating images
  (and I am very close to testing the image creation!).

re:
> Hopefully we can get all the other ones done for the paper due
> someday next week.

I contacted Jerry at the SSEC Data Center and asked if they had
an archive of globally composited satellite imagery, and luckily
they do, but it is not necessarily complete.  The composites that
they have created are for the WV and IR channels, not VIS.  Quite
frankly, VIS global composites don't make that much sense since
half of the image would always be dark.

I am just about ready to start making an archive of 20 km resolution,
globally composited WV and IR images on atm.ucar.edu.  I will test
the process for TC Hattie images first, and then plow through the
rest when all of the bugs have been out.

After the image datasets for all of the TCs are created, it will
be time to create interesting displays using the IDV or McIDAS-V.
I suggest creating a globe display of the images and colorizing
the IR images so that the coldest indicated temperatures are
in color and opaque and the warmest indicated temperatures are
in gray scale and increasingly transparent.  The images would be
displayed on top of the NASA Blue Marble, and an animation
centered on your region of interest (30S, 180W) would be create
and saved as an animated GIF.  The results would then be posted
to the RAMADDA server on atm.ucar.edu so that you could show
them from a web browser (or download them so that they are local
to your machine).

re:
> Thanks all of your help!

No worries.