[McIDAS #TSV-261063]: Using McIDAS-V to access SSEC's Open Archive

Hi Jane,

re: - does the contents of your Edit Remote Dataset window look like the
image I attached?

> Yes

OK, this is very weird indeed.  Unfortunately, I can't diagnose anything
from here, so we have to move to Plan B...

re:
> Here's a complete list of the imagery days, wavelength channel, aerial
> coverage, animations and resolution. All imageries are of IR, Vis, and WV 5
> days prior to each tropical cyclone listed. Coverage area for all TCs is 0
> to 60S and 120E to 120W. Animation would be nice to have but I think it
> will be distracting to the audience. I would stick with gif images if
> possible. However, if you do work on animation, please have it running
> every 6 hours. For the resolution, I would like them to be as clear as can
> be.

Here is the first big problem: there is no one satellite that provides
coverage over your region of interest:

- the sub-satellite point for MTSAT is 140E; the sub-satellite point
  for GOES-11 was 140 W

  GOES-West and MTSAT images could be composited together to give the
  desired areal coverage: 120E - 120W; 60S - 0S

- the composites would not be seamless as the wavelengths for the various
  channels are slightly different:

  MTSAT       GOES-West   Channel
  -----------+-----------+---------
  0.73 um      0.65 um    VIS
  6.75 um       6.8 um    WV
  10.8 um      10.7 um    IR

The process for creating the coverage you want would then be:

- create an image that has the coverage desired

- remap MTSAT into that coverage

- remap GOES-West into the remap of MTSAT

- do this for every wavelength channel and time step desired

- display each composite and capture a GIF

- post the GIF to a machine where you could access the images

This will take some time given the large number of cases that
you have listed:

> TC Hettie:
> date range: January 20, 2009 to January 25, 2009
> time: 00:00:00 UTC to 00:00:00 UTC
>
> TC Hamish:
> date range: February 27, 2009 to March 4, 2009
> time: 12:00:00 UTC to 12:00:00 UTC
>
> TC Kirrily:
> date range: April 18, 2009 to April 23, 2009
> time: 18:00:00 UTC to 18:00:00 UTC
>
> TC Neville:
> date range: January 15, 2010 to January 20, 2010
> time: 00:00:00 UTC to 00:00:00 UTC
>
> TC Sarah:
> date range: February 15, 2010 to February 20, 2010
> time: 00:00:00 UTC to 00:00:00 UTC
>
> TC Tomas and TC Ului:
> date range: March 5, 2010 to March 10, 2010
> time: 00:00:00 UTC to 00:00:00 UTC
>
> TC Yasi:
> date range: January 23, 2011 to January 28, 2011
> time: 00:00:00 UTC to 00:00:00 UTC
>
> TC Jasmine:
> date range: February 01, 2012 to February 06, 2012
> time: 12:00:00 UTC to 12:00:00 UTC
>
> TC Evan:
> date range: December 06, 2012 to December 11, 2012
> time: 00:00:00 UTC to 00:00:00 UTC
>
> TC Haley:
> date range: February 04, 2013 to February 09, 2013
> time: 12:00:00 UTC to 12:00:00 UTC

I am not sure that all of this work can be accomplished by
Wednesday morning.

Would it be possible for you to:

- settle for one wavelength channel instead of all 3?

- settle for one composite every 6 hours?

- prioritize your cases so that the most important ones
  get done first?

Just a comment: it would been a good idea to start working on this
over the past weekend...

Ticket ID: TSV-261063
Department: Support McIDAS