[McIDAS #TSV-261063]: Hi

Hi Jane,

re:
> I'm not at all proficient with computer/software installments and such.
> Having to go through the different options is a bit too much for me but
> still trying to figure it out.

OK.

re:
> So, the satellite imageries (IR, WV, Vis)
> that I'm looking for are of 5 days prior to each (I've picked 10) Tropical
> Cyclone I'm doing my research on. The region of study is in the South
> Pacific as mentioned earlier, and the objective is to study the
> influence/no influence of the Tropical Upper Tropospheric Troughs (TUTTs)
> to TCs.

Very good.

re:
> Together with the Geopotential Height (GPH) and wind plots I've
> got, the satellite imageries will further explain what I'm looking for.
> Also, the dataset I'm working on is for the 5 years/TC seasons in the past
> (2008-2009 to 2012-2013).

OK, I understand better now.

re:
> Please advise on what I can do. Thank you!

I think it would be best if you used McIDAS-V -- its installation and
use under Windows 7 are straightforward.

Question:

- where are you intending on getting the satellite imagery you
  need?

  In case you haven't see it, here is a link to an article that appeared
  on our web site's blog area that lets users know of free access
  by Unidata community members to satellite imagery archived and
  being made available by the UW/SSEC Data Center:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/blogs/news/entry/free_satellite_archive_data_access

The fact that you can access the Data Center holdings directly using
McIDAS-V (and IDV and McIDAS-X) should make the job of finding imagery
pertinent to your study a LOT easier.

Ticket ID: TSV-261063
Department: Support McIDAS