[McIDAS #XXO-279718]: ATM.UCAR.EDU not responding

Hi Russ,

re:
> ADDE access to the NEXCOMP dataset on ATM.UCAR.EDU stop at ~7:00AM CDT.
> Fall over server ADDE.UCAR.EDU is responding to NEXRCOMP server requests.

Sorry! If I had remembered that you were using atm.ucar.edu for ADDE
access to datasets, I would have remembered to send you a note about the
semi-annual powerdown that NCAR/CISL performs at the NCAR Mesa Lab computer
room where atm.ucar.edu is housed.  The powerdown was scheduled to start
this morning at 6 am MDT, and it apparently did given your report that data
access stopped at 7 am CDT.  This powerdown is scheduled to last longer than
usual, so I would not expect to be able to access atm.ucar.edu data services
for the majority of the day today.

As a reminder, there are 3 motherlode-class machines that you can
access:

machine name                   ADDE service name
------------------------------+----------------------
atm.ucar.edu                   atm.ucar.edu
unidata2-new.ssec.wisc.edu     adde.ssec.wisc.edu
motherlode.ucar.edu            adde.ucar.edu

At some point in the ** hopefully ** not too distant future, we want to
virtualize the data services we operate.  For the end-user this would
mean that a request to a service like adde.ucar.edu would be farmed
to a "real" machine/cluster in one of a number of locations (including
"the cloud") transparently.  Gone would be the data where one would have
to know the machine and ADDE group names to be able to access datasets,
at least for our server instances.  As you might guess, this transition
will require a LOT of work on our end and cooperation by participating
sites.

Ticket ID: XXO-279718
Department: Support McIDAS