[McIDAS #OEE-768879]: Server Groups in IDV

Hi Marty,

re:
> I have datasets that are being served by ADDE, but they don't automatically
> show up as available datasets in IDV. If I type in the name of the group,
> they load in fine. How can I get them to show up without having to type
> them in? Right now only CIMSS, RTIMAGES, RTNIDS, and TOPO show up.

It should be the case that the dataset groups that you manually enter
will be remembered from that point on.  What one can do on the server
side to speed/ease the process, however, is:

<as 'mcidas' on the machine running the ADDE server>
cd $MCDATA
cp RESOLV.SRV PUBLIC.SRV

Back in the IDV, you should then be able to "see" all of the groups
defined in PUBLIC.SRV by clicking on the icon just to the right of
the dataset group entry widget.  Clicking on the icon will result in
a selection window popping up what will have a (scrollable) list of
the dataset groups defined.  I believe that you will still have to
select each one at a time, but this should be pretty fast using:

- click to get scrollable list
- select the dataset group name
- click on Connect

You should not have to actually load an image, just Connect to
the server and that selection will be remembered from that
point on for your IDV sessions.

How one would do the above for a set of users (e.g., a lab class)
used to be doable by creating an XML file of dataset definitions
and copying it to the appropriate directory under each user's
.unidata directory.  I believe (but am not 100% sure) that this
may change with Yuan's progressive disclosure work.  I would open
a IDV inquiry to get authoritative answers on the XML approach.

Ticket ID: OEE-768879
Department: Support McIDAS