[McIDAS #WFF-597037]: Convert McIDAS AREA to NETCDF

Hi Heather,

re:
> I was hoping you would be able to help me with something or point me
> in the right direction ...
>
> I am trying to convert McIDAS CO2 products: ECA, and CTP to netcdf form.
> I am using the java jar program AreaToNetCDF that I found online.

Presumably you are referring to the code that is discussed in:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/visit/netcdf/

Please be aware that this code is pretty old...

re:
> My resulting netcdf output is in image form: only giving me raw values
> from -128 to 127.  Do you know of a way that I can get these files into
> netcdf form with the products? CTOP or ECAT?

If you are using the software discussed in the web page above, then it
looks like you will have to use the option of requesting data from an
ADDE server.  It does not appear that you can produce output that
has calibrated units directly from an AREA file on disk.  This makes
sense to me since the ADDE servers are the ones that can send back
calibrated data values.

re:
> I have attached examples of the files that I am dealing with, and their
> resultant netcdf files.
>
> The command I used to get the netcdf file is:
>
> java -cp AreaToNetCDF.jar AreaToNetCDF AREA.2012031.23z.ctp.G13c
> AREA.2012031.23z.ctp.G13c.nc
>
> Everytime I try to add a calibration type I still get my results in
> raw values.

I would do the following:

- setup an ADDE dataset for the files you want to convert

- use the request data from an ADDE server option for AreaToNetCDF

re:
> Thanks!

No worries.

Ticket ID: WFF-597037