[McIDAS #MBP-359564]: Script to retreive SSEC Openarchive AREA files

Hi Kevin,

re: parameters for imagery that you want to get
> I'm just going to list one sample set here.  I suspect once you
> help me with one prototype script, I will easily be able to generalize

OK.

re: server, dataset group, bands, day/times, coverage

Group     ADDE Server               Band(s)     Day/time(s)      Coverage
---------+--------------------------+-----------+----------------+-------------------
OGOES08   openarchive.ssec.wisc.edu  1, 3, 4     2001/02/11,12    Northern
Hemisphere

The next questions I have are:

- GOES imagery is over sampled in the "horizontal"

  For every 1 pixel in the vertical, there are 1.7 pixels in the horizontal.

  The images in the Unidata-Wisconsin IDD datastream (UNIWISC aka MCIDAS)
  have had the horizontal oversampling removed and full 10-bit values scaled
  to 8-bit (one byte per pixel).  GEMPAK uses these images nicely.  Is this
  what you have in mind?

- desired image resolution

  All IR bands have a nominal resolution of 4 km (sub satellite point).
  The VIS band has a nominal resolution of 1 km (sub satellite point).

  If we get the VIS images at 1 km resolution, they will be 16 times
  larger in size than the IR images.  FYI: all GOES images in the UNIWISC
  datastream are at 4 km resolution.

- storage on disk

  The images in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream have been compressed for
  LDM/IDD transmission: all image headers have been preserved uncompressed,
  but the image data portion has been PNG compressed.  Unidata McIDAS-X,
  GEMPAK, and the IDV handle images processed like this directly,
  but other applications will likely not.  I can leave the images copied
  to disk in their uncompressed format or compress them like UNIWISC
  images.  The choice is yours.

- I created the directory /der2/ldm/data/goes8 as 'mcidas' to store the
  images copied from the SSEC archive.  Please let me know if this is
  an OK place to stash the images, and if you would like them organized
  by year/day, etc.

Comment:

- I have verified access to the SSEC ADDE server from derecho, so I can
  start copying images as soon as I know the answers to the questions
  above.

Ticket ID: MBP-359564
Department: Support McIDAS