[McIDAS #EXN-803471]: downloading satellite data?

Hi Andrew,

Sorry for the delay in responding!

re:
> I am trying to acquire GOES satellite data for use in my M.S. thesis
> research.  The specifics are as follows:
>
> - GOES-9
> - 1830 UTC 2 Aug. 1997 - 0030 UTC 3 Aug. 1997 (east Pacific Hurricane
>   Guillermo)
> - VIS, WV, IR channels
> - NH, CONUS, FD scans (plus available RSO/SRSO scans)
> - AREA format is preferable

There is an archive of GOES-East/West image sectors that were sent in
the Unidata-Wisconsin IDD datafeed (IDD feedtype UNIWISC aka MCIDAS)
that extends back to the period you are interested in.  In the archive
there should be the VIS, WV and IR channels (there are periods missing
from the archive) of 4 km resolution.  Whether or not they cover the
latitude,longitude bounding box that you are interested could be determined
by examining current sectors since the area of coverage has not changed
much over the period of the archive.  FYI: the image sectors in this
archive are different from the full SSEC Data Center archive, and they
can be transferred using either ADDE or FTP.

re:
> The relevant images are not available through the NOAA CLASS system,

Hmm... I find this surprising!

re:
> and I have had trouble accessing the data via McIDAS-V

Accessing the images from where?

re:
> (plus I would rather use the data on another analysis platform anyway).

OK.

re:
> I have successfully registered my IP,

OK, I take it that you (UHawaii) have taken advantage of the generous offer
that UW/SSEC extended to Unidata university sites -- access of up to 5 GB
of data per month for each IP address registered.  Please let me know if
I am incorrect in this.

re:
> but McIDAS seems to be having trouble on my machine and
> won't display the images.

What are the symptoms?  Perhaps we can help get you going in this
regard.

re:
> Is there anyway I could download the data
> directly to my machine from the ADDE server without using McIDAS?

Not that I know of.  SSEC's offer was for ADDE programmatic access, not
for things like FTP.

re:
> Any help in this regard would be much appreciated!

I suggest that we first explore why your McIDAS instance (presumably
McIDAS-V) is unable to display the images from the SSEC ADDE server.
Next, if we can't get you going, you could investigate whether the
image sectors in the Unidata-Wisconsin archive might suit your needs.
If neither of these work, we can explore other options.

Ticket ID: EXN-803471
Department: Support McIDAS